Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 4, Question no.9

Page

Name Yeonji Bae Date20-08-25 03:07 View3,054 Comment1

Content

Hello, Allen Scafe.

I am one of your huge fans and hardworking students, Yeonji Bae.
I am writing this to ask about the correct answer on the module 4 quiz, question no.9.

The quiz was this.
"you can make any form of practice more meaningful by adding 'How'?' [True or False]

In your class you've mentioned adding 'Why' or a follow-up question will make the practice more meaningful.
I believe that 'How' can be an additional follow-up question that I can ask to any form of practice.

For example,
I like apples.
'How?' [how do you like apples?]
I am hungry.
'How?' [how are you hungry?]

I do understand asking 'how' to any questions sometimes leads to an answer that we don't usually use or explain.
However, I found it grammatically correct and makes sense when making practice more meaningful.  
While I was picking the answers on the quiz, I had to think deeply about whether 'How' can be a follow-up question or not.
Since asking 'why' can create an awkward situation when asking and answering, I choose False for my answer to the no.9. 

for example, [when practicing 'Because']
S: I like apples because they are yummy.  
T: Why?

I am afraid if I am mistaken and thinking too much to answer a quiz, however, I really hope to hear from you. 
Please let me know if I am mistaken about what you meant in the class.

Full of respect.
Yeonji Bae

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Yeongji Bae,

Yeah, this is quite a tricky question, and I think you already answered your question basically.  While "how" may work in some instances, it will not work in all instances.  If someone says, "I like ______" and then we ask, "how?", it is quite strange.  In this instance asking "why?" would make more sense.  If the structure was, "I do something by something" and we asked "how?" then it would really not work.  Thus, "how?" is not always applicable.  If the question was, "you can make any form of practice more meaningful by adding a "wh-" question" then it would be true.

Does that make sense?  If not, post again, and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors