Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Difference between substitution & prompt

Page

Name Wook Kang Date20-09-01 01:52 View2,362 Comment2

Content

Hi Allan

nice to talk to you again!

I had had a question about the difference between substitution & prompt before I saw the similar question and your answer for the question. Now, I almost understand the difference of it. However, I'd like to be sure of my understanding.

Is it right that the major difference between substitution & prompt is inducing students to substitute grammatical structures or vocabulary structures?

Below is one of your answer posted on the bulletin board.(subject : 'Module4 Lesson 7: Practising Structures 2', name : Hyun Su Kim, date : 5/17)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.)  While substitution and single word promps practice activities can seem similar, they are in fact different.  Remember, that when doing a substitution practice activity, you are providing students with a similar structure to the structure you are practicing, and then getting them to use the original structure.  For example, let's say I just taught my class "gonna".  So I give them the sentence "I will go to the library tomorrow".  The correct answer I am looking for is, "I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow". 

On the other hand, single word prompts activities are when you provide a single word (or maybe two), and then students have to use the original structure.  Using the previously mentioned structure, let's say I give the word "soccer" to my students.  My students could answer by saying, "I'm gonna go play soccer tonight", or "I will watch a soccer game tonight".  Or maybe I gave them the verb "make".  So, they could answer in a variety of different ways, such as "I'm gonna make a plan" or "she's gonna go home", etc. 

As you can see, they are quite different.  We should also keep in mind that single word prompts activities are, in general, more difficult. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Wook Kang,

Yes, you are right; when you are doing a substitution practice activity you are providing them with a grammar structure of a similar meaning, and then you get them to respond with the original structure that you just taught.  On the other hand, with single-word prompts, you are just providing a single word, or two, and then having them use that word/those words in a full complete sentence. 

I hope that makes sense, and if not, feel free to post again!  Have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors