Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] I have some questions!

Page

Name yeonjin choi Date20-09-21 10:57 View2,429 Comment2

Content

Hi Allan teacher!
always thank you for your teaching and answering the questions.
I'm studying the module 1-5 for Mid test. and I have some questions.

1) Is it okay to understand that mechanical practice is the same with controlled practice and Meaningful practice with Free practice?
I think controlled practice is the practice that we control the vocabulary or structures. and it's also the definition of mechanical practice.

2) Is it right that 'free oral practice' is included in meaningful practice (free practice) ? what is the difference between 'free substitution' and 'free oral practice' ?

3) 'go beyond the text' is the question that we do in post-reading activities. is it okay to think 'go-beyond-the-text' is the free practice?
because I think it allows students to engage in creative thinking and conversations.

I don't know I think so deeply.. but these are confused and want to ask.
thank you in advance. 

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Yeonjin Choi,

Let's take a look at those questions:

1.)  They're very similar, but not exactly the same.  "Controlled practice" and "mechanical practice" are similar in that you are getting your students to practice recently taught structure(s) and/or vocabulary in a very limited way.  If you are working with them while they're doing a mechanical form of practice, it is controlled.  On the other hand, "meaningful" practice and "free" practice are also very similar.  However, if you are doing the practice with them, and they're not working independently, then it is not free.  "Free" practice is when they can use the structure(s) and/or vocabulary in a "free" way, and independently.  So, they are very similar, but free practice includes the idea that they're working by themselves. 

2.)  Good question.  "Free substitution" is when students create their own sentences using the structure(s) and/or vocabulary.  The key here is that they must create them, usually by writing.  On the other hand, "free oral practice" means they may be given questions and then asked to answer them and speak about a topic using the new vocabulary and/or structure(s).  Does that make sense?

3.)  "Questions that go beyond the text" are just a kind of question, and do not need to be thought of as a specific form of practice.  I guess they are not really a form of free practice since you are doing them as a class.  If students are working on them independently though, they could be considered free practice.  However, my advice is not to worry about it too much!

Anyhow, I hope that helps and have a nice day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors