Q&A

[IELTS (Band 5.0-6.5 Part 1)] About reading section

Page

Name Mao Tobin Date20-09-30 11:48 View2,213 Comment4

Content

To Allan

Hi, This is Mao.
Thank you for your class yesterday.
I forgot to ask you a question during the class.

How long should I spend finishing to read an essay in reading section?
I've been practicing to take AUTHENTIC PRACTICE TESTS IELTS BOOK on the reading section everyday in 20 minutes.
I sometime don't have enough time to answer questions due to my lack of time-management ability.
So it would really help me if I could know a certain aim of time I spend for reading an essay like
10 minutes reading an essay and finishing questions in the rest of time or something like that.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Have a good day.

Regard,

Mao

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Mao,

It was nice meeting you yesterday along with everyone else.  Now, let me try to answer your question:

In general, it is suggested that you spend about 17 minutes on the first section, 20 on the second, and 23 on the third section.  When it comes to exactly how long you should actually spend reading the text, it gets a bit more complicated.  Generally, it is recommended that you DO NOT read the entire article/essay.  Instead, what you should do is start by reading and trying to understand the questions first, kind of like what we did yesterday.  Read the questions, highlight keywords, and then scan the text for keywords in the question.  When you find them, skim around the word, and if you still can't find the answer, then read in detail.  Generally, it is not recommended that you read an article in detail, and if you do, it should only be done after you gone over the questions and if you have extra time to search for an answer.  However, if you're still answering a question in section 1, and 17 minutes have passed, you should really move on.

Does that make sense?  If not, please respond and either I or possibly Steve will try to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Have a great day!

Mao Tobin님의 댓글

Mao Tobin 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi, Allan.
 Thank you for your quick response and I mostly understand your points like you taught us yesterday.
However I still wonder if I could make enough scores without understanding whole essay especially when answering yes,no,and not-given questions.
So I will try the way you advised first and then let you know if I still have difficulty of managing time!
I really appreciate to you.

See younext week:)

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hi Mao,

Another thing I should note is that it depends on the task.  Anyhow, we'll be going over a number of different types of questions, so hopefully, you'll have a better idea of how to approach the reading section better afterwards!

Mao Tobin님의 댓글

Mao Tobin 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Allan,

I tried to do the practicum exam with your advice today. And like you mentioned, it seemed depend on the questions I need different skill to read...
I got better score on the graph section but lower score on YES,NO questions...
Yap, I need little more time to get used to it!
Thank you for your advice and I'm looking forward to seeing your live again next week:)

Regard,

Mao

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A