Glenn College
Q&A

[IELTS (Band 5.0-6.5 Part 1)] About reading section

Page

Name Mao Tobin Date20-10-08 16:04 View2,577 Comment2

Content

Hi,Allan.

Thank you for checking my homework!
I'd like to have advice for T/F and NOT-GIVEN questions since I didn't take the class before 3rd week.
I usually can find answers after reading whole passage so that it takes me time a lot.
I thought I should skim for this type of question but I also recognized I couldn't find NOT-GIVEN answer from skimming and scanning one which is literally not given on the passage.

How do you usually solve this problem?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Regard,

Mao

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Mao,

My advice, from a general point of view, is that you should try practicing skimming and scanning using a mock reading test.  If you can, try to find a mock reading test online, and its answer key.  Try reading the questions the first, highlighting keywords, thinking of synonyms, then scan the text.  After finding keywords, skim the text around the keywords and try to find the answer.  Read in more detail if you still cannot find the answer, but only read around the keyword(s).  If you cannot find an answer, I recommend moving onto the next question.  After you have answered everything, and if you still have enough time for that section (section 1 - 17 minutes, section 2 - 20 minutes, section 3 - 23 minutes) go back to the question, or questions.  Scan, skim, and read if you have to, and if you still cannot find an answer, mark it as "not given".  If you have run out of time for that section, just mark it as "not given" and move onto the next section.

Well I hope that makes sense, and have a wonderful long weekend!

Mao Tobin님의 댓글

Mao Tobin 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Allan!

Thank you for answering my questions.
I actually tried the Moc test today with your advice.
I couldn't time-manage well enough but hopefully it will be fine...

Have a good week ends!

Mao

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A