Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] a few questions I should have asked before

Page

Name Jae Hee Park Date20-10-31 02:02 View2,072 Comment1

Content

Hello!

I should have asked these sooner, but I rewatched some of the videos and now I remembered...

!. Shouldn't free substitution be in a production stage, instead of practice? Why or why not?
2. Are free practice activities same as meaningful practice? (Is any practice that is not controlled, but free and meaningful a free practice?)

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hey Jae Hee Park,

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond your questions.  Anyhow, let's take a look at those questions:

1.)  Yes, you are right.  Although we did talk about free practice activities being part of a practice stage, they're a production stage activity (and thus also a form of practice!). 

2.)  They're similar, but not exactly the same.  Meaningful practice activities get students to use their brains and utilize what they have learned recently in order to answer.  Free practice activities do the same BUT they're done independently by the students, without the teacher's help.  With meaningful forms of practice, such as single-word prompts or picture prompts, the teacher is doing the activity with the students.  That is the difference.

Well, I hope that makes sense and have a nice day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors