Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Quiz in module 1

Page

Name Seyoung Kim Date20-11-03 02:07 View2,536 Comment3

Content

Hi Mr. Allan, how are you? Hope all is well with you!

I have a little doubt about one of the quizzes in module 1.
"When students behave badly, we should punish them immediately. "

My answer was "no". The reason behind is that,

first, the word 'punish' is actually a very strong word to put, second, 'immediately' but who knows? maybe the student got a reason for that behaviour so I can't punish anyone before hearing from them, also I do not know how badly the student is behaving that I have to decide to actually punish that student, but punish in what way? I could maybe stop them to continue the class but would never punish anybody on the spot.

Because I believe that I can always change their attention to something else rather than punishing them on the spot in front of many others.
That's why I chose "no or false" for the answer which happened to be wrong for you. But I still believe that it's debatable.

What do you think?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Seyoung Kim,

You have made a very good argument for why "no" or "false" would be an appropriate answer for this question.  There are many teachers who would also disagree with this statement, although there would be more teachers who would agree with that statement. 

Now, the official meaning of punish is "inflict a penalty or sanction on (someone) as retribution for an offense, especially a transgression of a legal or moral code".  This does not mean we are hitting them, instead, it could just mean that we are punishing them orally, by calling out their bad behaviour and by telling them to stop.  In my opinion, and many other teacher's opinion, it is best to call out misbehaving students as soon as possible, and try to put an end to their bad behaviour.  Bad behaviour spreads like a virus, and is disruptive.  If we don't deal with it immediately, it distracts other students, and may encourage them to act out badly as well.  That is why, in general, it is best to deal with bad behaviour immediately. 

That being said, I do understand your argument.  Perhaps the question should be re-worded. 

Anyhow, I hope that makes sense and have a wonderful day!

Seyoung Kim님의 댓글

Seyoung Kim 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Mr.Allan,

Thanks for your comment! I personally don't think calling out a name of a student could be a part of punishment, that just could be getting some attention from her/him! But I understand your point!

Have a nice day for you too!

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Seyoung Kim,

No problem!  I always enjoy debating theories!  Also, we should always keep in mind that what works for some people, doesn't work for everyone.  I think everyone has to learn from their own life and work experiences and try to adapt their teaching style to what works with their students.  In general, I believe this approach is the best, most of the time, but not all of the time. 

Anyhow, I hope you have a nice day as well!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors