Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Question relate to Module 4 Quiz

Page

Name Rin Jeong Date20-11-06 00:56 View2,335 Comment2

Content

Hi Allan,
I have question relate to Module 4 Question 4.
It was asking when creating 3 step practice for practicing structures, what is ideal plan?
and I choose the first answer which was "mechanical activity, another mechanical activity and a meaningful activity" and it was wrong and the answer was four which was "a mechanical activity, a meaningful activity and another meaningful activity".
My question is In the Module 4 video 3 around 7:58 you said your recommendation of planning is "start with repetition or substitution then move on to picture/ single word prompt and lastly end with free substitution" In my understanding, picture prompt and single word prompt is mechanical activity that student can answer the question even if they don't fully understand the question. Also, it is repeating the set outline of certain structure but only changing the word that it is asking for, so that was why I thought they are mechanical practice and choose the first answer for Question 4.
Can you explain why the correct answer is 4? Am I wrong because single word or picture prompt is a meaningful activity? If so can you please explain how single word/picture prompt is meaningful activity?

Thank you!

Rin

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Rin Jeong,

Good question.  The problem I believe you have run into is that you misunderstood, understandably so, what I was saying about picture prompts and single word prompts.  They're not always mechanical activities, and they're not always meaningful as well; it depends on how you make them.  In general, they should be created so that they're meaningful activities.  However, they should always be double checked, because if you made them too easy, they can be mechanical.  Let's look at an example.

EX.  Let's say recently you taught the structure, "He/She felt ______, so he/she ~".  Let's say for a single word prompts activity you gave them the word sick.  The first part of the answer is easy, "He/She felt sick, so he/she ~", but the second part is wrong.  Remember, that with a single word prompts activity you can have more than one blank, but you only give them one word, and then they will have to form a complete sentence.  Using the same structure, we could also turn this into a picture prompts activity, where we show a single picture, and then they form a sentence.

Does this make sense?  If not, please post again and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors