Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Quiz. 2 ( module 2 )

Page

Name EUNJIN KIM Date20-11-10 02:58 View2,262 Comment1

Content

Hi Allan,

I hope my mail finds you well. I just finished my quiz for module 2 and I have the results out for the multiple choices section. Just would like to have more explanation for each answers that I got wrong, because the choices are quite confusing. Especially the one about basic blackboard rules, as I remember there are 5 rules which are ;write in a straight line clearly and large enough for everyone to see, maintain good posture, stand to the side, speak while writing and use different colors. I selected about eye contact which I think is not possible as we need maintain eye contact while writing on the board.

Secondly, is the one about giving translation first instead of asking for student to translate it. I do agree it is best to allow student to first guess the meaning of the vocabulary rather than spoon feeding the answers straight. But taking into account of lesson 4 which is technique for presenting vocabulary, are we not suppose to translate and go on with the class unless the word is useful yet difficult, which we may need to take some time out and provide examples? Because the question is rather vague as it did not state what kind of situation we are in.

I hope to hear from you soon as I find it interesting the above 2 topics.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Eunjin Kim

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Eunjin Kim,

Good to hear from you, and I hope you are also doing well!  Anyhow, let's take a look at your questions:

1.)  You are right, maintaining eye contact with students was not explicitly mentioned as a blackboard rule.  However, that being said, while writing on the board, we should try our best to keep an eye on our students while writing on the board as best we can.  In addition to that, the fourth option, "[e]mphasizing important vocabulary by drawing stars around them" is not a blackboard rule and thus it is the correct answer.

2.)  What you wrote here is true; however, asking students to translate for us after presenting and explaining a word is a great way to check for understanding, and thus it is considered superior.  While we may translate words that we believe are both passive and difficult, this is not something that we should be doing very often. 

Anyhow, I know that my response is probably not the answer that you were looking forward to, but I hope it is informative!  Have a great day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors