Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] regarding the final assignment

Page

Name Seyoung Kim Date20-11-16 04:01 View2,604 Comment6

Content

Good morning Mr. Allan!
Hope all is well with you!

I've seen your face almost everyday for the last 2 weeks and here I am at the end of the course already! Yay!
Omg I can't believe you won't be in my daily life anymore!! So sad! And I kind of liked your goofy jokes haha

Anyways, now that I really have to show you what I've learnt but actually kind of lost how to do it.
Cause there is no such instructions of how to do it, what to do or even with what? about what?
Can I really plan for any type of a lesson with whatever topics or materials I would like to use?

I'm kind of feeling lost. Please help me :)))))

+ I'm thinking to continue to take ITT afterwards but not sure if that's a good idea to improve my English in general. Cause I've lived out of Korea for years already that my Korean became stupid(not joking!) and I've developed some kind of broken English of my own hahahahahaha
I don't really have so much confidence. Can you please give me some advice? I mean you've seen my writings already so.. you might have something to say..?

Thanks a lot! :))))))

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Seyoung,

First of all, sorry that it has taken so long for me to respond to you.  Second of all, I am very glad to hear that you have enjoyed my terrible jokes! 

Anyhow, in regards to your question about the final assignment, it really is up to you.  That being said, you should try to think of 1-2 structures, and 5-10 vocabulary that you would like to teach.  Also, is this lesson for low-level beginners, intermediate level students, or advanced learners?  I would recommend trying to teach something more complicated for advanced students considering the fact that your English is obviously quite good!  Maybe you could think of preparing a lesson plan focusing on conditionals, transitional phrases of agreement, or relative pronouns, etc.  After that, try to think of a topic or theme that would match your grammar and vocabulary focus.  Once you have thought that out, then think of what stages you would like to include.  I recommend 5~6 stages, and try to include at least one skill-based stage (reading, writing, listening, or speaking).  In addition to that, try to include any example images that  you might use for a picture prompts activity or flashcards for example.  Also, keep in mind that a good lesson plan could be anywhere from 2-6 pages, it just depends. 

Well, I hope that helps, and if not, please just post again and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible!

Seyoung Kim님의 댓글

Seyoung Kim 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you so much! But now my head is about to explode hahahaha
And no need to apologize for the late reply. You are not late at all and of course you deserve to enjoy your weekend! :)

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hey again Seyoung,

Sorry, I forgot to address your question about the ITT course. 

Honestly, I am pretty sure that it is a worthwhile course, but if I were you I would ask myself whether I would really be able to fully utilize what I would learn in the course in any future career path that I may take.  If it does not seem like you would be able to apply what you have learned, it may not be worth it.  I guess you could think of it as another way to study English, but would it be the best way for you? 

Anyways, I know that may be a boring way of approaching the question, but I hope it helps and have a nice day!

Seyoung Kim님의 댓글

The thing is, for TESOL it's clear it's designed to teach how to teach(omg too much redundant!) or a guidance of better teaching. So I didn't really expect anything about improving English or whatnot to tell you the truth.
But for ITT, I'm just concerned that if taking that course would somehow be a chance for me to make my English more accurate as I told you already that I have my own type of broken English haha, I mean somehow academically? or I would just end up with some techniques that are useful for translation. With TESOL, I've been quite chilled out throughout the course that I was able to do just couple of hours after work and it was good enough(although I'm quite stressed right now about my final assignment hahaha). But for ITT, I think I need to spend more time and the course itself is already longer by 2weeks if I'm not mistaken.
So.. That's my concern. Because I do not wanna waste my time to just learn some new techniques. Of course I wouldn't say it would be a total waste of time that for sure there are things to learn. But like I said, the point is I would like to do something that will be beneficial for my English and somehow I can make a use of it later on.

Sorry that I look kind of like nagging you somehow when you are not an ITT teacher(I think you teach TESOL and more like ESL teacher?).
If you can share with me your thoughts, that would be very helpful for me!!

Thanks a lot!! appreciate it :))))))

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hi again Seyoung,

Of course, it is kind of hard for me to say what benefit you would derive from the course, especially because I've never taken the course, but I I think it could still be worth your time.  However, that being said, I have a good idea about the course, and I know who the teachers are, and how they approach the marking. 

I believe while the course is more focused on how to accurately translate from one language to another, it could be an interesting way to study English in a different way, and it could help you to become more precise in your word choice.  That being said, I am sure that it depends on the person, and while it may work for some, it may not work for others. 

I would recommend that you contact one of our staff members and request more details about the course.  They may be able to provide you with some samples of course material, and a few clips!  This may help you make up your mind.

Anyhow, I hope that helps and have a nice day!

Seyoung Kim님의 댓글

Yes I agree with that it could help me to become more precise in my word choice and maybe I could deliver what I wanna say better in a way after the course. Thanks a lot! Have a wonderful day :)))

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors