Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Consistence in tone

Page

Name Yoon Sun Choi Date20-12-02 22:31 View2,982 Comment1

Content

Good day all,

Based on the feedback from the last module, I understand the need to keep the tone consistent.
Does this apply to the entire article or must I differentiate between the statement in quotation as conversational tone and the rest formal?

Which would make the translation smoother? 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Yoon Sun!

Thanks for asking a great question!

I believe it's much more professional when your tone is consistent throughout the entire article; however, there will be moments when you purposely have to differentiate your tone for things like quotes. You just have to use your best judgement.

For example,

Kimchi stew is one of the most common dishes in Korea. Mr. Park who enjoys having Kimchi stew for his meal every night said, “I love Kimchi stew! My friends and I love to go to a Korean restaurant and have a giant pot of Kimchi stew together!”

김치찌개는 한국에서 가장 흔한 음식중 하나이다. 매일 밤 김치찌개를 즐겨먹는 박씨는 "저는 김치찌개를 정말 좋아해요! 제 친구들과 저는 한식 레스토랑에 가서 큰 솥에 나오는 김치찌개를 같이 먹는 걸 좋아합니다!" 라고 말했다.

would make the translation smoother than,

김치찌개는 한국에서 가장 흔한 음식중 하나이다. 매일 밤 김치찌개를 즐겨먹는 박씨는 “나는 김치찌개를 정말 좋아한다! 제 친구들과 저는 한식 레스토랑에 가서 큰 솥에 나오는 김치찌개를 같이 먹는 걸 좋아한다!" 라고 말했다.

When you read over your Korean sentences, it should be obvious if something sounds off. Personally, the second translation sounds a bit off and unprofessional to me. I hope this helped.

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?