Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Online TESOL

Page

Name Taehyang Kim Date20-12-21 21:23 View2,372 Comment2

Content

Hello, teacher! Did you have a great holiday?
I have some questions. I just finished the test of module 3 and checked the score.
I wonder about the question 5 and 6.

Q.5 : Having students call out answers as a class is a good way to help our strong students to show their knowledge to their classmates.

I checked true but the answer was false. I know you in the video said that is X when you are filling the grid, but in a real class when I get them call out answers, weak students and shy students do not answer if they are really not sure about the answer. Strong students almost every time answer correctly so sometimes this way gets the same result with the result we generally get when we have students raise their hands. Therefore, I use the way that having students raise their hands to encourage weak students not for strong students. When I have students raise their hands and pick one for an answer, everybody who wants to try can get a turn before strong students already say the answer and weak students lose their confidence. Because before I start the activity I teach students that trying is the best and during the activity I give a big praise to students who try so I could get everyone involved in class and learn. Other wise, only strong students answer and weak students think like "I don't have to think about the answer Irene will say the answer. I'll just eat my nail.". Strong students know that they are good and enjoy the time that they could say the answer with everyone because usually they always have the best answer to show. I think this questions is debatable. Do you think I can get at least half of the point?

Q.6 : Showing the meaning of a structure visually is always the best option if possible.

I checked false but the answer was true. I wonder how could it be true. What if you have to explain a structure that cannot be describe visually? Then isn't it providing situations is the best option? I think showing the meaning of a structure visually is really good I use this a lot but it's not always the best option. Sometimes synonyms and antonyms could be the best option too. If you have to teach students "There is no point to hit your friends." and if your students already know what does 'reason' mean, it's gonna be more efficient to use synonyms. And you can simply have a conversation with students like "Why do you hit your friends? do you become happy with that? do you get what you want by hitting them? No. Then there is no reason to hit your friends. There is no point to hit your friends." They will understand the structure more effectively at this level I think. Therefore in my opinion, it is also debatable. Can I get at least half of the point?

If any sentences I wrote is rude, forgive me. I don't mean it. English is my second language so I'm still confusing how can I say my opinion politely. Sometimes it could seem I'm not sure about my opinion an sometimes it seem I'm too strong about my opinion. Simply, I'm just asking your opinion here. and I'm really really enjoying your videos they are so fun and useful. Although It's hard to understand when you speak really fast and naturally haha I use an application for that. Thank you for everything. I hope you have a great day;)

Comment list

Taehyang Kim님의 댓글

Taehyang Kim 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hi Allan!
I appreciate your explanation in detail and full marks!
I don't think I understood question 6 with "if possible' 100% correctly. I completely understood now. Thank you for the explanation!
You are the best! Have a nice day;)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?