Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 1. Video 6. vocabulary

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-01-10 11:39 View2,068 Comment1

Content

Hi, 

I have come up with a piece of question I would like to clarify further.

13. Pessimistic

A: John is so annoying. He is always checking on me. I think we should break for the time being.

B: Huh, you just told me how sweet he is yesterday. Why are you always complaining about him? You are so pessimistic.

> I am curious if the sentence above is accurate and sounds neutral in this context.

14. Dismiss

> As far as I know, there is also meaning for '해고하다'
What's different with ' to terminate' ? Are both words interchangeable?

* Jane was terminated for theft at word?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Blaire

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Good to see you once again! Let’s see if I can help you.

A: John is so annoying. He is always checking on me. I think we should break for the time being.
B: Huh, you just told me how sweet he is yesterday. Why are you always complaining about him? You are so pessimistic.
> I am curious if the sentence above is accurate and sounds neutral in this context.

-> So I believe you are asking if the usage of the word “pessimistic” in your sentence is accurate and natural in the context.

I wouldn’t say it is wrong, but it does feel a bit awkward, to be honest. When you say someone is being pessimistic, you are saying this person is being negative towards the future.

I will try to give you an example in a different context:

A: Oh I wrote my midterm exam and I think it was terrible. I am probably going to fail this exam and this course. I am never going to get a decent job. I am such a failure.

B: Jeez! Stop being so pessimistic! It is only one exam. Also, last time you said that about your exam, you ended up getting an A+ on that exam, remember?

In my opinion, 비관적인 usually reflects the meaning of “pessimistic” very well in most cases. Just think about someone who is being really negative, dark, and hopeless about everything!

Also FYI, “we should break” sounds a bit awkward! Consider the followings:

I think we should take a break from each other for the time being.

or

I think we should break up for the time being.

——————————————————

Dismiss has many different meanings and yes it can be used as “해고하다” as long as you are using it in the right context. In that case, it will be interchangeable with the word “to terminate.”

I hope my answers help!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A