Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Glad to join your lesson.

Page

Name Roo Da Lee Date21-01-13 04:51 View2,103 Comment3

Content

Hello, Mr. Scafe!
  This is Lee Roo Da. You can call me 'Lee'.
I have just finished Module 1 except quiz. Your lessons are fun and useful for me. It makes me reflect on what I have taught. I appreciate it.

I have some questions.
  First, frequency adverbs make me confused.
  'Hardly', 'rarely', 'seldom', and 'scarcely' do they mean that about 5% doesn't happen?
  'Occasionally' does it mean about 10% doesn't occur?
  Is 'sometimes' as same frequent as 'from time to time'? approximately 50% can occur.
  Is 'often' as same frequent as 'frequently', about 70% can happen?
  Does 'usually' mean about 80% can occur?
  'Always' means 100% can occur.
  Could you explain them using %?
  Second, what is the difference between 'stage' and 'step'?
  Third, I heard you say 'the[ðə]' that comes before vowel, like 'the activity'. I learned 'the' before vowel sound [ðiː] though.

Hope everything goes well with you.

Sincerely,
Lee

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Lee,

Let's take a look at those questions:

1.)  While there is no set percentage for each adverb of frequency, "hardly", "rarely", "scarcely", and "seldom(ly)" are synonyms of each other.  However, I would say that rarely is around 25%, seldomly around 10%, and hardly (ever) would be around 5%.  Occasionally is less frequent than "sometimes", but I would say around 40%.  The expression "from time to time" does not mean the same as "sometimes", I would say it happens less frequently and is more similar to "occasionally".  "Often" and "frequently" are similar, but "frequently" is a bit stronger, as in the percentage would be higher (often = 60% vs frequently = 75%).  Yes, "usually" is about 80% or higher (85%).  Also, yes, "always" means 100%. 

2.)  "Stage" and "step" have the similar meaning when we are discussing a process (as in a series of steps or stages).  In this case there is no difference.  However, of course, "step" also has a verb meaning, while stage as a verb means to present a performance.  Also, "stage" as a noun can also mean a raised platform, like in a theatre or cinema, where a movie or performance is shown. 

3.)  Sorry, but there are some symbols in your question that I cannot understand, and therefore I cannot answer. 

Well, I hope that helps.  I might not always be able to respond so quickly and detailed to your questions, but I will try my best.  Have a great day!

Roo Da Lee님의 댓글

Roo Da Lee 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Thank you for your answers.

In video 3 of module 1, when you explained those: 'b) The teacher hardly ever corrects errors.',  'h) The teacher often chooses weaker students to answer.' 'hardly' to 5%, 'often' to 70%. I wondered adverb of frequency how I can use properly.
When I plan a lesson, I am confusing 'Stage' and 'step' in a lesson plan. So I asked.
Third one was about pronunciation, 'the'. I learned that 'the' can be pronunciated by two ways, [the], [thi:]. That's why I asked.

Have a good one! Thank you again.

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?