Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Module 1-(1)

Page

Name SOOAH JEONG Date21-01-17 00:01 View2,143 Comment2

Content

Hi, Mason
I have a question for you.
The teacher mentioned about differences between "in a row" and " in the row" on the online.
I know what "in a row" means but I have no idea about "in the row" meaning.

When you look at the module 1-(1), there is a sentence that "Her mother was also shot in the row and is critically ill in hospital."
From what I saw the lecture, that sentence was interpreted that "그녀의 엄마 역시 언쟁속에서 총에 맞아 지금 병원에서 심각한 상태에 있다".

How did you know that "in the row" in this sentence means "언쟁속에서"?

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Sooah!

Thanks for asking a great question!

There are many reasons how I was able to know that "in the row" means "언쟁 중에" in this sentence.

Reason #1: If you want to say "연달아", the English expression for it is "in a row," not "in the row."
You will never say "in the row" if what you want to say is "연달아."

Reason #2: As I mentioned throughout the lecture videos, this article was written in British English. You can tell this by the expressions such as "block of flats."

With Reason #1, seeing the expression "in the row" made me wonder what a "row" means in this sentence.
With Reason #2, knowing that this article was in British English, I looked up what a "row" means in British English, and I found out that the "row" means 언쟁, 소란, 싸움.

I have explained this part in the lecture video so it would be a good idea to watch the video once again! I hope it helps.

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?