Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 2-2

Page

Name Min Ji Kim Date21-01-18 02:43 View2,292 Comment1

Content

Hi, I'm Min Ji.
I have some questions in Module 2-2. Teacher said we should always put 'in order to' in front of to infinitive when it's negative. But is it necessary? I've seen using 'in order to' before, but it was not always used like teacher said. And another question is that it is wrong if we don't put the when we use in, like 'in the morning'?

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Min Ji,

Thanks for asking such great questions! Good to see you studying hard. Let's see if I can answer your questions!

1. using "in order to" when it's negative.

-> Let me first confirm with you if I understood your question correctly.

If the original sentence was, "The management gave in to the demands of the striking employees in order not to lose more money."

You are saying, “The management gave in to the demands of the striking employees not to lose more money." should be also correct, right?

Here is my answer:

If you do not care about grammar too much, it might be okay to just say “not to lose” instead of “in order not to lose.”
If you want to be really strict about the grammar, just saying “not to lose” would be grammatically wrong.

Besides it being right or wrong, generally speaking, just saying “not to lose” sounds a bit awkward to me. However, awkward doesn’t necessarily mean wrong. I personally would say you do not have to worry about this too much.

If you would like more insight on this, try checking these websites:

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/not-to-vs-in-order-not-to.636589/
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/not-to-in-order-not-to-so-as-not-to.2061785/

2. Not putting “the” in “in the morning”

-> Nope. I cannot think of any situation where you would just say “in morning.” It just sounds wrong. One way to check whether an article such as “a” or “the” should be used is to check the expression usage in Google News.

Go to Google News and try looking up “in morning” and look at the articles to see if there are articles that say “in morning.”
In this case, you will find none.

Now, try looking up “in the morning” and you will see many articles that say “in the morning” in its text.
Now you know that it is always “in the morning”, not “in morning.”

I hope this helps!

- Mason (Instructor)

P.S. When you ask questions next time, if you could specify exactly which article or # of the sentence or specific time mark of the lecture video, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors