Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Questions about E-K Translation

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-01-18 07:15 View3,118 Comment1

Content

Hi,

I'm Jueun Kim.

I hope you are having a good day / good night. :-)

I have several questions about Module 3!

1. When you look at Module 3-1, there is a paragraph that starts with "In the next 10 year period...."
And there is THEY (they cannot find jobs for people) in the last sentence of this paragraph. I thought THEY refers to "The Chinese leadership(중국의 지도층)", So I thought I should translate it like "그들이 사람들을 위해 직업을 구해줄 수 없다면". but you translated it like "사람들이 직업을 찾지 못하게 된다면" which is different from mine. So... Is it okay if I translated it like what I just did?

2. When you look at 3-2 , there is a paragraph that starts with "Ads for hiring..." When you translated "We have heard from business owners who had applicants comment on...", I thought "HAD" was 사역동사. So I translated it like "우리는 지원자들에게 경영주 책상에 있는 가족 사진에 대해 의견을 물어본 경영주에게서 들었다." I know it is wrong. But at some point, it makes sense as well.. I guess..? right? How do I know HAD was used as 사역동사, or just a verb?

3.When you look at 3-2, there is a paragraph that starts with "You may need to be creative.." I thought I could translate "tight" into 경쟁적인. Am I right?

4. I don't know why you translated "all the ways of being and doing that exist on this planet" like "행성에 존재하고 있는 모든 생물체의 모든 것들을 감사해보세요" Because I can't find "모든 생물체" in the sentence.. Could you explain this again?

5.Last Question! If a sentence has "-" blah blah blah "-" agian, I have to translate it exactly the same? do I have to put like this ("-" 어쩌구 저쩌구 "-")?? or can I make my own sentence smoothly?

This is all I've wanted to ask you!

Thanks for reading it all the way!!

Thank you,
Jueun Kim

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Jueun!

Amazing questions! Let’s see if I can help! :)

—————————————————————————————————————————————

1. When you look at Module 3-1, there is a paragraph that starts with "In the next 10 year period...."
And there is THEY (they cannot find jobs for people) in the last sentence of this paragraph. I thought THEY refers to "The Chinese leadership(중국의 지도층)", So I thought I should translate it like "그들이 사람들을 위해 직업을 구해줄 수 없다면". but you translated it like "사람들이 직업을 찾지 못하게 된다면" which is different from mine. So... Is it okay if I translated it like what I just did?

-> Great point! In this case I believe your translation sounds more accurate than mine.
 Perhaps we could refine it a little further and say, "그들(중국의 지도층)이 자국민들에게 일거리를 찾아줄/제공해줄 수 없다면..."

2. When you look at 3-2 , there is a paragraph that starts with "Ads for hiring..." When you translated "We have heard from business owners who had applicants comment on...", I thought "HAD" was 사역동사. So I translated it like "우리는 지원자들에게 경영주 책상에 있는 가족 사진에 대해 의견을 물어본 경영주에게서 들었다." I know it is wrong. But at some point, it makes sense as well.. I guess..? right? How do I know HAD was used as 사역동사, or just a verb?

-> Ok, I see what you mean and I can see that this can be problematic. This is going to be very hard to pinpoint the usage of the word “had” in this sentence, as it can be used either way.

In my opinion, I think I translated the way I did because of the context. From my understanding, the context is the following:

1. Ads for hiring and employers should only talk about relevant stuff.
2. Irrelevant stuff may be applicants’ age, their marital status, gender and race, etc.

3. a) Employer made applicants to talk about the employer’s family picture.
(고용주가 지원자에게 고용주 책상에 있는 고용주의 가족사진에 대해서 말해보라고 시켰다.) -> 사역 동사 had = made 

3. b) Employer met applicants who talked about the employer’s family picture.
(고용주가 고용주 책상에 있는 고용주의 가족사진에 대해서 말한 지원자를 만났다.) -> 과거 동사 had = met

4. Employer asked about the applicant’s family.

5. Applicant didn’t get the job.

6. Applicant filed a complaint of discrimination because the applicant thought the employer didn’t provide the job due to applicant’s marital status.

Read the above context carefully and ask yourself which one should go in the 3.
Is it 3. a)? or is it 3. b)?
In my opinion, 3 .b) makes more sense to me according to the context. I would be happy to elaborate more if you disagree! Let me know. :)

3.When you look at 3-2, there is a paragraph that starts with "You may need to be creative.." I thought I could translate "tight" into 경쟁적인. Am I right?

-> Here, “tight” can mean many different things and 경쟁적인 could be one of them. I definitely wouldn’t say it is wrong. You may also think of the word “tight” as in there is no room to move around.

4. I don't know why you translated "all the ways of being and doing that exist on this planet" like "행성에 존재하고 있는 모든 생물체의 모든 것들을 감사해보세요" Because I can't find "모든 생물체" in the sentence.. Could you explain this again?

-> The original sentence was,

“try to put yourself in the hoofsteps, pawprints and undulations of other "creatures" and appreciate all the ways of being and doing that exist on this planet.”

To me, the part “all the ways of being and doing that exist” sounds like a continuation of hoofsteps, pawprints and undulations, so I used the word “creatures” again to translate this.

So what it is saying is…

hoofsteps (of a hourse),
pawprints (of a cat),
undulations (of creatures or nature),
and all the ways of being and doing = everything (of all other creatures)

5.Last Question! If a sentence has "-" blah blah blah "-" agian, I have to translate it exactly the same? do I have to put like this ("-" 어쩌구 저쩌구 "-")?? or can I make my own sentence smoothly?

-> That, I will leave it strictly up to you! If you think translating it to 어쩌구 저쩌구 is appropriate, then please go ahead!
If you think it doesn’t fit the tone, then you should try to find something else that will fit better. This depends on what kind of translation you are doing.

I hope my answers help!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs