Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] K-E Module 3-1

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-01-19 04:41 View2,255 Comment1

Content

Hello

I'm Jueun Kim.

I have a few more things to ask you! So here they are!

1. when we look at number 10, there is "유리로 둘러싸인" but Grace didn't translate in the lecture. Can I write like this?
: The greenhouse looks like a plant habitat surrounded by glass, but it is a new fish farm.

2. When we look at number 11, I thought I had to use different tense.
Because them thinking about his personality happened first! so I thought I could translate it into English like " We thought he was very introverted until we had seen his wild behavior at the game." Will it be okay?

3.In number 11, Grace already said the difference between "in" and "at". But in this sentence, I think it is still okay to use IN instead of AT. Am I right? Because he/she can be a player in the game!

4. in number 18, Can I use career referring to "경력"? so the English sentence would be "John has the same career and background as Buggi"

Thank you so much,
Jueun Kim

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Jueun!

Thanks for the questions! Let’s see if I can help.

——————————————————————————————

1. when we look at number 10, there is "유리로 둘러싸인" but Grace didn't translate in the lecture. Can I write like this?
: The greenhouse looks like a plant habitat surrounded by glass, but it is a new fish farm.

-> Although the caption and her explanation lacked the “유리로 둘러싸인” part, she did mention it at the very beginning by saying “a glass-enclosed plant habitat.”

I believe your translation will work as well.

2. When we look at number 11, I thought I had to use different tense.
Because them thinking about his personality happened first! so I thought I could translate it into English like " We thought he was very introverted until we had seen his wild behavior at the game." Will it be okay?

-> I think your reasoning is correct but you are saying it the other way around.

As you mentioned, since 'thinking about his personality happened first',  you should say

“We had thought he was very introverted until we saw his wild behavior at the game."

because “had + pp” indicates the time prior to the simple past.

3.In number 11, Grace already said the difference between "in" and "at". But in this sentence, I think it is still okay to use IN instead of AT. Am I right? Because he/she can be a player in the game!

Well, technically yes, but if you use the word “in”, then the meaning of this sentence will change as Grace has mentioned. If we had more information about him in the context, then this would be clearer.

4. in number 18, Can I use career referring to "경력"? so the English sentence would be "John has the same career and background as Buggi"

-> Yes, you can. However, the sentence should be

“John has the same career and education as Buggi.”
or
“John has the same career and educational background as Buggi.”

I hope my answers help!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs