Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Module 3 K-E Questions

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-01-20 17:28 View2,487 Comment1

Content

Hello!

I appreciate your answers so far!

I want to ask a few questions about Module 3. So hope you can answer my questions!

1.When we look at number 21, Grace said "....when we asked him about his background and experience."

But, I know we can you ask without "about". so can I write "...when we asked him his background and experience."

2. when we look at number 22, can i use ".....the surprise won't work out."? (깜짝쇼는 소용이 없게 될 것이다)

3. in number 1, Module 3-2 , there is korean sentence which is "저희 측에서는 아무런 문제가 없습니다.". Can I translate it into English like "We have no problem with ...."

4. in number 1, Module 3-2, Grace said we can't use ABOUT instead of regarding/in regards to in  the sentence which is "귀사가 요청하신 것 중 명세서...". and She didn't tell me the reason... So could you elaborate? Also, can I use ON instead of regarding?

5. in number 2, Module 3-2 , Grace said event and sale shouldnt be written at the same time. That is, sales event shouldnt be the right answer. but she wrote "sale events" in translation. I still can't understand her explanation. so I hope you can elaborate..!

Thank you very much,
Jueun Kim

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Jueun,

Thanks for the questions!

Let’s see if I can help.

——————————————————

1.When we look at number 21, Grace said "....when we asked him about his background and experience."
But, I know we can you ask without "about". so can I write "...when we asked him his background and experience."

-> In my opinion it does sound a bit off when you say "...when we asked him his background and experience." I would definitely put “about” in that sentence.

If you wanted to get rid of “about”, you could say without “him” so,

"...when we asked his background and experience."

——————————————————

2. when we look at number 22, can i use ".....the surprise won't work out."? (깜짝쇼는 소용이 없게 될 것이다)

-> Yes you can, but saying “the surprise won’t work” will be just fine as well.

——————————————————

3. in number 1, Module 3-2 , there is korean sentence which is "저희 측에서는 아무런 문제가 없습니다.". Can I translate it into English like "We have no problem with ...."

-> Yes, you can.

——————————————————

4. in number 1, Module 3-2, Grace said we can't use ABOUT instead of regarding/in regards to in  the sentence which is "귀사가 요청하신 것 중 명세서...". and She didn't tell me the reason... So could you elaborate? Also, can I use ON instead of regarding?

-> Technically, you CAN use the word about as regarding and about have a very similar meaning. However the sentence will sound less formal. It does not fit the tone of the original sentence very well.

the sentence “Your requirements on invoicing, supply and delivery …” sounds fine as well in this sentence but this won’t be always the case.

——————————————————

5. in number 2, Module 3-2 , Grace said event and sale shouldnt be written at the same time. That is, sales event shouldnt be the right answer. but she wrote "sale events" in translation. I still can't understand her explanation. so I hope you can elaborate..!

->  Let’s see if I can make this clear for you.

Here are the two sentences we are looking at:

“고객은 이러한 재고정리 세일을 반가워한다.”
“이러한 세일 행사는 몇 주 혹은 수개월 동안 계속 진행된다.”

재고 정리 세일 = a clearance sale
here “clearance” is an adjective.
here “sale” is a noun.

세일 행사 = a sale event
here “sale” is an adjective.
here “event” is a noun.

So, Grace is saying that since we know this “세일 행사” is the same thing as “재고 정리 세일”, we do not need to say it as “Clearance sales event.”

So here, Grace is saying, “sales events” as in using both of them as nouns is redundant.

Simply saying “clearance events” or “sale events” should be sufficient.

——————————————————

I hope this helps.

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs