Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Regarding Homework for Module 3

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-01-26 20:32 View2,938 Comment2

Content

Good Afternoon,

I have just completed my homework and uploaded it. Before I watch video clips, I would like to clarify a few things as below

1. Article 3-1

Is it okay to translate "well-being" as " 복지?" When I looked up the English definition of ' well-being', it is " Experiences of life-satisfaction, mental health, and ability to manage the stress. "

2. Article 3-2

~~~~~~My own view is that there will be a Chinese spring. The Chinese leadership must recognize ~~~

>At the very first time when I looked at this sentence, I do not get what it means. So I just translated it as "중국의 반발".

Vocabulary

1. self-sufficient
⇨Is this interchangeable with self-satisfied?

2. Diminish
⇨Kindly advise the differences with " Decrease, Decline, Reduce "

3.to be accountable for:' ~대한 책임이 있는'
⇨Is this the same meaning with " to be responsible for "

4. tried-and-true 
⇨Can I interchange this word with ' valid' 
⇨ Staycation during lock-down is completely prohibited by the law. You must have a valid reason like travel restrictions. 

Thank you.

Await your reply.

Regards,
Blaire

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Thanks for the questions! Let’s have a look.

——————————————————

1. Article 3-1

Is it okay to translate "well-being" as " 복지?" When I looked up the English definition of ' well-being', it is " Experiences of life-satisfaction, mental health, and ability to manage the stress. "

-> In some cases I believe you could. However, generally speaking, the word 복지 sounds like something that the government is providing for you, whereas “well-being” might just mean “how well/happy people are”

——————————————————

2. Article 3-2

~~~~~~My own view is that there will be a Chinese spring. The Chinese leadership must recognize ~~~
>At the very first time when I looked at this sentence, I do not get what it means. So I just translated it as "중국의 반발".

-> I’m glad you picked this up! See if my explanation in the lecture video makes sense to you!

——————————————————
Vocabulary

1. self-sufficient
⇨Is this interchangeable with self-satisfied?

-> Nope! self-sufficient has to do with “living on your own” whereas self-satisfied usually means “being narcissistic”

——————————————————

2. Diminish
⇨Kindly advise the differences with " Decrease, Decline, Reduce "

-> They can be used all interchangeably in many cases when we talk about numbers going down, or having something less and less.

Just be aware that the word “decline” has another meaning “refuse”

——————————————————

3.to be accountable for:' ~대한 책임이 있는'
⇨Is this the same meaning with " to be responsible for "

-> Yes it is! You can also use the word “hold” instead of “be” so you can say “They held me accountable for ~~~”

——————————————————

4. tried-and-true 
⇨Can I interchange this word with ' valid' 
⇨ Staycation during lock-down is completely prohibited by the law. You must have a valid reason like travel restrictions. 

-> Your sentence sounds correct here, but it would be weird to replace “valid” with “tried-and-true” in this sentence. Literally “tried-and-true” means you tried something and it is right (true) (무언가를 해보니 맞는 것) as in you know from many other people who have done it or it has gone through some sort of experiment.

Also in my opinion, the word “tried-and-true” sounds stronger than “valid” if we want to say “효력이 있는”, “효력이 입증이 된”

——————————————————

I hope my answers help!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs