Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] To clarify a plenty of things for module 3.

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-01-28 04:48 View2,948 Comment1

Content

Hi,

I have been really enjoying BITK(Advanced) courses and have just finished watching all videos for module 3.Before I move on to the midterm exam, I will review and go over all articles covered from module 1-3. So I requested leave for a few days next week.

After listening to all explanations in module 3, I have come up with a bunch of questions that I would like to ask.

E-K

1. Module 3-1. Artice
1. ~~~~~~~~~ because they want a more accountable government  and~~~~
⇨ Can I replace  ' accountable' with trustable? The reason being is it is translated ' 그들이 더 신뢰할 만한 정부와.... ~을 원하기 때문에'

2. Article 3-2
⇨ Most are designed to penalize the employer for inconsistency or arbitrary behavior. 
-> Is the penalize interchangeable with 'to punish'?
->Can I replace arbitrary behavior to assertive behavior and will it sound natural?

3.Article 3-3
⇨ We are not alone. On earth, that is.
> If I have translated this in Korean ' 우리는 절대 혼자가 아닙니다.',  is that acceptable?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. K-E 3-1 
Business Sentences 18.
⇨The modeled answer is ' John has the same background and education as Buggi'
If I use ' the same work experiences' or 'career' instead of the same background, will it make sense in this sentence? 

Because Grace explained the difference between experience and background.
It appears to me that we can't just use 'experiences' themselves as 'experiences' are personal and it is not something that anyone can see from me.

However, if I specifically mention' Work experiences', should it be alright?

5. K-E 3-1
Business Sentence 8.
⇨ AAA company can accurately predict how much your house would sell for in today's market. 

Based on Grace's explanation, we should use ' sell for' when we are talking about the price. Having that said, we MUST use sell for ' when something is being sold at a certain price?'

I thought ' will be sold at $$$' is appropriate, as the Korean sentence says 팔리다.

6. K-E 3-1
Business Sentence 11. 경기에서 거친 행동을 보이기 전까진 우린 그 사람을 매우 점잖은 사람이라 생각했다.

⇨ I am still in confusion, how can  '점잖은 사람'be translated as introverted. Because I was thinking ' introvert' is more of 내향적인 성격. Can I also use ' reserved' instead of introverted in this sentence?

7. K-E 3-2  Business Passage 1. 
그러나 저희가 제시한 가격은 ~~~ 것을 이해해 주시기 바랍니다.
⇨ In this context, can I transate this in " please be reminded or please be informed"?

Your prompt reply will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Blaire

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Thanks for the questions! Here is what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Module 3-1. Artice
1. ~~~~~~~~~ because they want a more accountable government  and~~~~
⇨ Can I replace  ' accountable' with trustable? The reason being is it is translated ' 그들이 더 신뢰할 만한 정부와.... ~을 원하기 때문에'

-> I would say it’s similar but not sure if you can replace it with "trustable." The word accountable has to do with more of responsibility rather than credibility. A good example of a synonym for accountable would be "responsible."

2. Article 3-2
⇨ Most are designed to penalize the employer for inconsistency or arbitrary behavior. 
-> Is the penalize interchangeable with 'to punish'?

-> Yes it is.

->Can I replace arbitrary behavior to assertive behavior and will it sound natural?

-> No, you cannot. In this context, you are saying something completely different if you replace "arbitrary" with "assertive." Arbitrary means random, so you can understand arbitrary behaviour as "제 멋대로 하는 행동", or "자기 마음대로 변하는 행동". Assertive means confident. If you say someone has an assertive behaviour, you are saying the person is either very confident or opinionated. I feel like you might compare this because the word assertive has meaning of "독단적인" but in this case, it's not 독단적인 as 제 멋대로/아무거나, it's more like 독단적인 as 남의 의견을 듣지않고/내 의견만 내세워서. I hope the difference is clear.

3.Article 3-3
⇨ We are not alone. On earth, that is.
> If I have translated this in Korean ' 우리는 절대 혼자가 아닙니다.',  is that acceptable?

-> It is acceptable, although I think you could think about why you would put "절대" in there.

4. K-E 3-1 
Business Sentences 18.
⇨The modeled answer is ' John has the same background and education as Buggi'
If I use ' the same work experiences' or 'career' instead of the same background, will it make sense in this sentence? 

Because Grace explained the difference between experience and background.
It appears to me that we can't just use 'experiences' themselves as 'experiences' are personal and it is not something that anyone can see from me.

However, if I specifically mention' Work experiences', should it be alright?

-> Yes, that is correct. If you are translating "경력" as in work experience background as the original sentence, yes you can.

5. K-E 3-1
Business Sentence 8.
⇨ AAA company can accurately predict how much your house would sell for in today's market. 

Based on Grace's explanation, we should use ' sell for' when we are talking about the price. Having that said, we MUST use sell for ' when something is being sold at a certain price?'

I thought ' will be sold at $$$' is appropriate, as the Korean sentence says 팔리다.

-> I wouldn't say it is wrong but "sold at $$$" would be used far less in real life.

Check out https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-sold-at-and-sold-for-The-book-was-sold-at-a-price-of-5-The-book-was-sold-for-5-Would-you-say-the-book-was-sold-at-5

6. K-E 3-1
Business Sentence 11. 경기에서 거친 행동을 보이기 전까진 우린 그 사람을 매우 점잖은 사람이라 생각했다.

⇨ I am still in confusion, how can  '점잖은 사람'be translated as introverted. Because I was thinking ' introvert' is more of 내향적인 성격. Can I also use ' reserved' instead of introverted in this sentence?

-> I think you are right! Reserved sounds good to me. A sentence like this can be translated in many different ways as we do not have enough context.

7. K-E 3-2  Business Passage 1. 
그러나 저희가 제시한 가격은 ~~~ 것을 이해해 주시기 바랍니다.
⇨ In this context, can I transate this in " please be reminded or please be informed"?

-> I am not sure if "please be reminded" or "please be informed" have the same nuance as "~를 이해해 주시기 바랍니다."

Here, what you are saying is really, "The price is fixed. I'm sorry. I hope you understand."

Now if you say,

"The price is fixed. I'm sorry. Please be reminded."

or

"The price is fixed. I'm sorry. Please be informed."

This could mean something similar but it sounds likes "기억하세요" or "알아두세요" in my opinion.

I hope this helps!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A