Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Module 4 Questions (E-K)

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-01-31 00:44 View3,232 Comment1

Content

Hi, Mason

Hope you are having a great day/night.

I have several questions to ask you.

So here we go!

1. Module 4-3 (E-K)
There is no doubt that CAT tools have taken some of the hard grind out of text translations like instruction manuals or questionnaires...

You translated it like this: CAT기술들이 텍스트 번역일 중 고된 일의 몇몇부분들인 사용설명서나 설문지 같은 것들을 맡아서 해내왔다는 것에 대해서는....
It sounds like instruction manuals or questionnaires are one of the examples of hard grind.

But I thought that , here in this sentence, instruction manuals or questionnaires are examples of test translations. so I translated it like this: "CAT기술들이 사용설명서나 설문지같은 텍스트 번역일 중 고된일을 대신 해내왔다는 것에 대해서..."

so... I'm confused...

2. Module 4-4 (E-K)
There is a passage which starts with "Your email of December..."

I don't know how to translate ", who we understand is..." part.

3. Module 4-4 ( E-K)
There is a passage which starts with "Your email of May 16 addressed.."

Your email of May 16 addressed to Mr. Lee, our former president, has been passed on to me for action

you translated it like this: ....이메일을 제가 처리하게 되었습니다.

But I can't understand why you translated it like this... because there is "For action".Was it not supposed to be translated like "조치를 위해 저에게 전달되었습니다."??

4. Moduel 4-4 (E-K)
There is a passage which starts with "The telemarketer sits..."

When you translate STILL , you wrote "여전히". But I wrote "그럼에도 불구하고".

Is it still right?

Thank you!!!

Best,
Grace Kim

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Grace!

Thanks for the great questions! Let's have a look.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Module 4-3 (E-K)
There is no doubt that CAT tools have taken some of the hard grind out of text translations like instruction manuals or questionnaires...

You translated it like this: CAT기술들이 텍스트 번역일 중 고된 일의 몇몇부분들인 사용설명서나 설문지 같은 것들을 맡아서 해내왔다는 것에 대해서는....
It sounds like instruction manuals or questionnaires are one of the examples of hard grind.

But I thought that , here in this sentence, instruction manuals or questionnaires are examples of test translations. so I translated it like this: "CAT기술들이 사용설명서나 설문지같은 텍스트 번역일 중 고된일을 대신 해내왔다는 것에 대해서..."

so... I'm confused...

-> A great question!

So, I believe these are different ways of translating things so yours could be right as well.

I tried to reason this out and explain my thought process but I ended up realizing that both of them can be answers. Answers can vary depending on how you define the word "hard grind." The correct answer would depend on the author's intention and the reasoning which is beyond what we are doing in this course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Module 4-4 (E-K)
There is a passage which starts with "Your email of December..."
I don't know how to translate ", who we understand is..." part.

-> It would be something like "우리가 이해하기로는" in my opinion, which is not a very significant portion in the translation. I think the correct grammar should be actually "whom" not "who" but it really doesn't matter in real life.

ex) This is my teacher, Mason, who we understand, is the best teacher in the world.

-> 이분은 메이슨, 우리가 알기로는 세상에서 가장 훌륭한 선생님이라고 알고 있는 제 선생님입니다! (Haha I tried)

3. Module 4-4 ( E-K)
There is a passage which starts with "Your email of May 16 addressed.."

Your email of May 16 addressed to Mr. Lee, our former president, has been passed on to me for action

you translated it like this: ....이메일을 제가 처리하게 되었습니다.
But I can't understand why you translated it like this... because there is "For action".Was it not supposed to be translated like "조치를 위해 저에게 전달되었습니다."??

-> So, let's just think about what "For action" really means in this sentence.

Yes, it means "조치를 위해". It is saying that it need some sort of action to be taken on the problem.

Who is solving this problem? It's "I" in this sentence, correct? Not, Mr. Lee.

"Your email has been passed on to me for action."

This really means, "I am going to answer your e-mail although it was originally for someone else."

I don't think it really changes much if you said "조치를 위해 저에게 전달되었습니다". It sounds just about the same as saying "제가 조치를 취하기 위해/처리를 하기위해 저에게 전달되었습니다"

4. Moduel 4-4 (E-K)
There is a passage which starts with "The telemarketer sits..."
When you translate STILL , you wrote "여전히". But I wrote "그럼에도 불구하고".
Is it still right?

-> Great question! I am glad you brought this up.

In my opinion actually 여전히 or 그럼에도 불구하고 don't really sound right for the word "Still".

Instead of looking at the word "still", let's try to look at the whole expression "still others"

By now, I hope you know the relationship between

(One & the other)
and
(Some & others.)

When you want to say something more after saying "Some ~~~, others ~~~", that's when you add "still others" = (아직도/여전히 다른 사람들... )

You see how it started with "Some people react ....", "Others firmly ...." then it went on with "Still others, ..."?

So it's something like "어떤 사람들은 ....", "다른 사람들은 ....", "그 외에 다른 사람들은 ...."

Here 아직도/여전히 sounds weird because we are trying to translate still and others separately. I think "still others" could be translated as something like "그 외 에도", "그 밖에는."

I sincerely hope this helps!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A