Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Module 4 Questions (K-E)

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-01-31 01:28 View2,538 Comment1

Content

Hi,

I have more questions about Module 4

1. Module 4-1
In #4, Grace wrote, "(who is supposed) to receive the fax". But I thought "who WAS supposed " was right. Can I not use "WAS" instead of "IS"?

2. Module 4-1
In #5, Grace wrote "here ARE " and "here IS". I do not know which one is right.

3. Module 4-1
In #7
......when he returns from vacation

Isn't it "returned"? because Grace wrote, "John planned to ...". So I thought it should be past tense.

4. Module 4-2

매우 그럴듯하게 들리지만 보기만큼 그렇게 쉽지는 않다.
This sounds very likely but easier said than done.

Is it also right?

5. Module 4-2

Grace translated "불가피하게" into "reluctantly". but I wrote "inevitably". Is it also correct?

6. Module 4-2

Grace translated "~일자로" into "effective/from". but I wrote, "as of". Is it also correct?

Sorry for asking many questions.

Thank you!

Best,
Grace Kim.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Grace!

Please never apologize for asking many questions!

I am genuinely grateful that you are spending your time and effort to learn. Remember, that is a beautiful thing! :)

Let's see if I can help!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Module 4-1
In #4, Grace wrote, "(who is supposed) to receive the fax". But I thought "who WAS supposed " was right. Can I not use "WAS" instead of "IS"?

-> I wouldn't say it is wrong, still I would have said "is supposed to" just because of its tense.
Having said that, if the sentence was "팩스를 받기로 했었던 사람이 제 시간에 받지 못해 제안한 규정을 승인하지 못했다."
then saying, "was supposed" would fit better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Module 4-1
In #5, Grace wrote "here ARE " and "here IS". I do not know which one is right.

-> Short answer: they can be both right.

So, what teacher Grace said in the video was that,

it should be "here is" because she believes the sentence structure is "Here is A, and [here is] B"

However, it is completely possible and okay to construct the sentence as "Here are A and B" in my opinion.

Therefore, I would say both can be right.

3. Module 4-1
In #7
......when he returns from vacation
-> Isn't it "returned"? because Grace wrote, "John planned to ...". So I thought it should be past tense.

-> Just because you used "planned" doesn't mean the entire sentence has to be in past tense.

ex) 나는 시험이 끝나면 여행을 가기로 했다.
I decided to go travelling when the exam ends.

4. Module 4-2

매우 그럴듯하게 들리지만 보기만큼 그렇게 쉽지는 않다.
This sounds very likely but easier said than done.

Is it also right?

-> I think the part "This sounds very likely" is sounding awkward. I think you could say something like "It might sound promising, ..." or "Although it sounds like a plan, ..."

5. Module 4-2

Grace translated "불가피하게" into "reluctantly". but I wrote "inevitably". Is it also correct?

-> It is not wrong, but reading the context, the usage of "inevitably" feels a bit odd in here. The original sentence is saying something like "가격을 ~~ 올리셨지만 (할 수 없이) 받아들이겠습니다." I understand this is what "불가피하게" essentially means, but the word "inevitably" often has a feeling of "무조건 일어나야만 하는", or "다른 방도 없이 꼭 이것이여야만 하는".

So in this sentence, using "inevitably" makes the sentence sound like "~~~ 인상하겠다는 제안을 다른 "방도가 없기에 무조건" 받아들입니다."

which is not wrong! but it just sounds a little weird in my opinion.

I'm not sure if you are a Marvel fan... haha but, Thanos says "I'm inevitable" ("나는 이런 일을 꼭 해야만 하는 존재이다", "나는 꼭 필요하다") whenever he used the infinity stones to wipe out the half of human population.... This is the most prominent usage of the word "inevitable" in real life!

6. Module 4-2

Grace translated "~일자로" into "effective/from". but I wrote, "as of". Is it also correct?

-> Yes it is correct!

Once again, thanks for the questions and I hope my answers help! :)

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?