Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 2 questions

Page

Name Mun Kyung Jung Date21-02-04 01:09 View2,283 Comment2

Content

1. In the first video lecture, you mention that "migrate" is movement within a country. However, according to the definition is Merriam-Webster Dictionary it says:
"to move from one country, place, locality to another"
Is it okay to use the word migrate to describe the movement from one country to another?

2. In article module 2-2
When you are translating the sentence "Too many companies are overly focused on what they do..." You said that the "they" represents the employees.

But from what I see, "they" can also represent the companies.
The companies could be focused on what they[회사] are doing [회사가 하는 일에 치중한 나머지 (즉, 회사의 목적)], but overlooking and minimizing who [직원] is doing the work...
What do you think about this? Could this translation also work?

Thank you for your fun lectures! I'm really enjoying it :)

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Mun Kyung!

Thanks for asking great questions! Let’s see if my answers help!

——————————————————

1. In the first video lecture, you mention that "migrate" is movement within a country. However, according to the definition is Merriam-Webster Dictionary it says:
"to move from one country, place, locality to another"
Is it okay to use the word migrate to describe the movement from one country to another?

-> Yes, it is possible; however, the usages are slightly different depending on the context.

I found a website that explains the difference well: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Immigration_vs_Migration

* While immigration refers to relocation to a country, migration refers to the movement from one region to another - either within a country or across national borders. For example,
    * There was a migration of Jews from Europe to various parts of the world.
    * Albert Einstein immigrated to the United States.
    * Kashmiri pundits are being forced to migrate from Kashmir to other parts of India.
* While immigration usually refers to an individual or a family, migration refers to the movement of a much larger population.
* While immigration refers to people, the word migration can also be used in the context of animals and birds.

——————————————————

2. In article module 2-2
When you are translating the sentence "Too many companies are overly focused on what they do..." You said that the "they" represents the employees.

The companies could be focused on what they[회사] are doing [회사가 하는 일에 치중한 나머지 (즉, 회사의 목적)], but overlooking and minimizing who [직원] is doing the work...

-> That is an interesting point! It makes sense to me up to the part where you translated, but how about “as well as how and why they are doing the work”?

How would you translate “they” in here?

——————————————————

I am sincerely glad you are enjoying it. Have fun with it!

- Mason (Instructor)

Mun Kyung Jung님의 댓글

Mun Kyung Jung 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

2. In article module 2-2

-> That is an interesting point! It makes sense to me up to the part where you translated, but how about “as well as how and why they are doing the work”?

How would you translate “they” in here?
---------------------------------------------------------------
I see the problem! I didn't really think about  “as well as how and why they are doing the work”, and just translated the "they" as "직원들" for that part. I guess the translation I made may cause some confusion for the readers.

Once again, thank you so much!!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?