Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 3 questions

Page

Name Mun Kyung Jung Date21-02-06 19:32 View2,344 Comment4

Content

1. In module 3-1, can I just translate the word "think tank" as "씽크 탱크"? From what I know, 씽크탱크 is also commonly used in Korea, so I didn't really feel the need to translate it to "집단 지성"

2. In the same module, in the sentence "... think tank the Legatum Institute, which says its aim is to ... " does the word "its" refer to the Legatum Institute? At first I thought it did, and after watching the video lecture, I got confused.

3. The term "Chinese spring" is mentioned in the same module. I do know that it does not mean the literal spring of China, and that it is supposed to have similar meaning to "Arab spring". I know that "Arab spring" is translated as "아랍의 봄" in Korean, so is it okay to translate "Chinese spring" to "중국의 봄"?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Mun Kyung!

Thanks for the questions, and here are my opinions!

——————————————

1. In module 3-1, can I just translate the word "think tank" as "씽크 탱크"? From what I know, 씽크탱크 is also commonly used in Korea, so I didn't really feel the need to translate it to "집단 지성"

-> Absolutely! I actually wasn’t aware that the word 씽크 탱크 was commonly used in Korea. If that is the case, you can indeed just leave it as 씽크탱크. That should be fine!

——————————————

2. In the same module, in the sentence "... think tank the Legatum Institute, which says its aim is to ... " does the word "its" refer to the Legatum Institute? At first I thought it did, and after watching the video lecture, I got confused.

-> I believe it does? I just double checked the lecture video and it seems like that’s how I explained in the video at least! Feel free to let me know what exactly is causing your confusion if you need.

——————————————

3. The term "Chinese spring" is mentioned in the same module. I do know that it does not mean the literal spring of China, and that it is supposed to have similar meaning to "Arab spring". I know that "Arab spring" is translated as "아랍의 봄" in Korean, so is it okay to translate "Chinese spring" to "중국의 봄"?

-> No, I do not think it is okay. Here is the reason why:

In Korean, “봄이 온다” has a completely different meaning, so even if you knew that this Chinese spring is talking about something else, by literally translating “중국에 봄이 올것이다”, you are not really translating its meaning. Remember, the translation we are doing is not the verbatim translation, but rather meaning-to-meaning translations.

——————————————
I hope it helps!

- Mason (Instructor)

Mun Kyung Jung님의 댓글

Mun Kyung Jung 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thank you for your answers!!
I watched the video a couple times and figured out the 2nd question.

But for my 3rd question, instead of translating as "중국에 봄이 올것이다" I translated as "중국의 봄이 올것이다"

From what I think, 중국에 봄이 올것이다 would literally mean that spring will come in China, and the latter would mean Chinese spring, as in Arab spring, would come.

I would like to ask your thoughts about the difference between 중국의 봄이 올것이다and 중국에 봄이 올것이다.

Thank you so much!!

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hmm.. that's a good point!

In my humble opinion, I would still refrain from translating it as "중국의 봄이 올것이다" in this article. Just because I feel like there is no significant difference in meaning between "중국에 봄이 올것이다" and "중국의 봄이 올것이다." They both sound like China will have a good/happy/prosperous spring to me.

However, let's just say there was actually a uprising in China that people called it "Chinese spring." If we were to translate an article or any literature about this event called "Chinese spring", I would keep this word as "중국의 봄" because now the meaning is really clear that this is not the good/happy/prosperous spring anymore.

I hope this makes sense!

Mason

Mun Kyung Jung님의 댓글

Mun Kyung Jung 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Ohh I get your point. Also I am now getting this feeling that people who don't know about 아랍의 봄 would misunderstand 중국의 봄, since they wouldn't really get the implied meaning.
Thank you!! :)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?