Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Module 5 Questions

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-02-09 04:48 View2,206 Comment1

Content

Hi,

I have several questions to ask you! So here we go!

1."We foresee further deterioration in the market to a considerable extent."

--> In here, you translated it like "~~를 더 크게 예견합니다." But I thought "further" were for deterioration. So I translated it like "더욱 악화될것을 예견합니다/ 더 큰 악재/악화를....".Will it be okay??

2. Home Repair  (Module 5-4 the last third passage)

I thought Home Repair is the brand name because the first letters of the words are all capital letters. But, you translated it "집수리" in Korean.. so,, how do I know if it is a brand name or not? I'm so confused...

1. When you look at number 1 in Module 5-2, there is "그 밖의 많은 행사". Grace translated it like "many other service events." but I thought "etc" could be okay...! What do you think about it??

I hope you are having a great one!!

Best,
Jueun Kim

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello!

Thanks for asking brilliant questions and I hope I can help!
——————————————————

1."We foresee further deterioration in the market to a considerable extent."

--> In here, you translated it like "~~를 더 크게 예견합니다." But I thought "further" were for deterioration. So I translated it like "더욱 악화될것을 예견합니다/ 더 큰 악재/악화를....".Will it be okay??

-> Yes, absolutely! I guess I didn’t quite realize how it sounds in Korean until just now but saying “더 큰 하락을 예견합니다”/“더욱 악화될것을 예견합니다” would be perfect. Thanks for pointing it out!

——————————————————

2. Home Repair  (Module 5-4 the last third passage)

I thought Home Repair is the brand name because the first letters of the words are all capital letters. But, you translated it "집수리" in Korean.. so,, how do I know if it is a brand name or not? I'm so confused...

-> This is a weird one, I have to admit. I wouldn’t say it is a brand name in this context, but it would be perhaps better if it wasn’t capitalized in the first place. As I have mentioned in the video, it does not mean the word is always a proper noun just because it starts with a capital letter. It can be a helpful indicator in many cases but this does not mean ALWAYS! To really see whether this is a proper noun or not, try to see if it sounds awkward with in the context. In my opinion, translating it as “집 수리” was the most fitting!

——————————————————

1. When you look at number 1 in Module 5-2, there is "그 밖의 많은 행사". Grace translated it like "many other service events." but I thought "etc" could be okay...! What do you think about it??

-> I feel like it can be debatable because of the word “행사” in my opinion! If the original sentence was something like this “많은 슈퍼마켓은 여러 행사들, 예를들어 장학금이나 지역행사, 기아 해소 모금운동, 그 밖의 많은 것들에 자금을 지원한다” I think you can absolutely say “etc” for “그 밖의 많은 것들”

——————————————————

I hope this helps!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs