Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions for Module 4 (E-K)

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-02-10 06:41 View2,248 Comment2

Content

Hello,

I have come up with several questions after watching all E-K videos in Module 4.

4-1

1. Russian vodka is being sent to the gulag by the members of the local gut ~.
->Mason mentioned that appropriate translation for this sentence is 구소련에 강제수용소에 버려졌던 사람들처럼 모두 버려졌고, and I am curious how I can find the club how it was implied as "구소련 강제 수용소에 버려친 사람들처럼 버려지다"
I do understand that Mason covered this by explaining as " the gulag " is not 고유명사in this context so It connotates something else.

2. Is the phrasal verb "Take a stand " interchangeable with " stand for " ?

Module 4-3.

3. Regarding the vocabulary " rule out " sounds okay in the following sentence ;
>> Mason always makes excuses to skip the group discussion. If he keeps doing this, all of us will get marked "0" for the final exam.
I think we should rule him out from the team project.

4-4.

4. In the 6th paragraph, Mason explained how the sentence will be transformed if we interchange " assure" with" ensure"
I guess there is an error.It shows wrong sentence on the screen. Please refer the image below,

Thus may I clarify if it was "We would like to ensure that your credentials, strong, competitive and deserving of further review. " ??? 

ad9e4b4393a6811fea6678245aca9f28577560ed

Thank you.

Await your reply.

Regards,
Blaire 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Thanks for the great questions, let’s have a look!

——————————————————

4-1

1. Russian vodka is being sent to the gulag by the members of the local gut ~.
->Mason mentioned that appropriate translation for this sentence is 구소련에 강제수용소에 버려졌던 사람들처럼 모두 버려졌고, and I am curious how I can find the club how it was implied as "구소련 강제 수용소에 버려친 사람들처럼 버려지다"
I do understand that Mason covered this by explaining as " the gulag " is not 고유명사in this context so It connotates something else.

-> I am not entirely sure if I understood you question but I will try my best to answer! Let me know if this does not answer your question.

So, let’s think about what the gulag is. It is 교정 노동 수용소 관리국, or 강제 노동 수용소 that existed in the Soviet Union era. So… does it really make any sense to send “Russian vodka” to 강제 노동 수용소? Obviously not. So, what this sentence is trying to do is to give you imagery of throwing out Russian vodka as people were thrown out to this gulag back in the days. So translating this word to word causes a problem in my opinion!

——————————————————

2. Is the phrasal verb "Take a stand " interchangeable with " stand for " ?

-> Quite similar but I wouldn’t say they are perfectly interchangeable.

When you say “I take a stand with my friend”
then you are saying “나는 내 친구와 같은 입장이다”, “나는 내 친구와 같은 태도를 취하는 바이다” something like this.

When you say “I stand for my friend.”
you are saying “나는 내 친구를 위해 이 자리에 서있다”, “나는 내 친구를 지지한다” something like this.

“take a stand” is similar to “take a position”
whereas “stand for” is usually followed by something that you value.

——————————————————

Module 4-3.

3. Regarding the vocabulary " rule out " sounds okay in the following sentence ;
>> Mason always makes excuses to skip the group discussion. If he keeps doing this, all of us will get marked "0" for the final exam.
I think we should rule him out from the team project.

-> No, the usage of “rule out” in this sentence is incorrect! When we say “배제하다” for “to rule out” try to associate this with probabilities. In your sentence, what you try to say is “to kick him out of the team project”, correct?

If you wanted to use the expression “rule out”, consider the following sentence/context:

Mason always makes excuses to skip the group discussion.
If he keeps doing this, all of us will get marked "0" for the final presentation.
We have to pick one person to do the presentation for our group.
I think we should rule him out from doing the presentation for our group.

-> Here, the usage of “rule out” would be the correct one!

——————————————————

4-4.

4. In the 6th paragraph, Mason explained how the sentence will be transformed if we interchange " assure" with" ensure"
I guess there is an error.It shows wrong sentence on the screen. Please refer the image below,

Thus may I clarify if it was "We would like to ensure that your credentials, strong, competitive and deserving of further review. " ??? 

-> Ah, thank you for bringing this up! Definitely an error.

It should say “We would like to ensure that your credentials are strong, competitive and deserving of further review”.

——————————————————

I hope my answers helped!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs