Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 5 E-K & differences : Efficiently VS Effectively

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-02-18 10:42 View2,620 Comment1

Content

Hi, Mason

It was a pleasure speaking to you the other day.
Words can't describe how much appreciated I am for your patience and feedback.
I truly understand that your plate is full at all time and are overwhelming with a high demand of phone calls with students.

Anyways, I will get down to the bottom line here.

5-2.
1. Is it okay to translate " Stock Option "as "주식 인수권"?
Based on your lectures, it was translated as "스톡옵션" Some readers might no have the idea of what is supposed to mean "스톡옵션."

5-4.

2. In the first paragraph, I did understand and caught it correctly for the meaning of "carrying cost. "
( This reminds me of the black chapter in module 1." Human Cost" )
I am just wondering if the word itself is interchangeable with " handling fee. " or "cost for maintenance"

3. In the third paragraph, " absorb increased production and labor costs", in this context, can I replace " absorb. " into " reflect"?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides my queries I raised, I would like to share what I have found for differences between " effectively and efficiently".
I have used all the resources I could including google, youtube, and some language exchange apps.

Previously, I had the same question on this, please refer to the below if this can help everyone.

Effectively has that connotation that the goal is more important than how you get there while Efficiently implies that the "how" is more important, like what takes the least effort.

Here is an example to make it clear,

"Walking may be an effective way to get home, but driving is more efficient. "

It means walking does get you home, but driving is faster(which you make the least effort.)

Efficiently is used when we describe something or someone that works in a successful/best and faster way. 
However, they do it with less time, energy, etc.

Effectively is about doing and using the right things to
 get positive results( a goal).

1. I want to communicate in English effectively. 

:  You want to communicate in English the right way. You want the best results when you speak English.

2. I want to communicate in English efficiently. 

: You want to communicate in English successfully without wasting time or energy (using the least amount of work.)

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Blaire 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Thank you very much for the questions and your kind messages! I feel truly honoured!

Let’s see if I can help you with your questions.

——————————————————————————————————————————

5-2.
1. Is it okay to translate " Stock Option "as "주식 인수권"?
Based on your lectures, it was translated as "스톡옵션" Some readers might no have the idea of what is supposed to mean "스톡옵션."

-> I looked it up and the proper terminology for Stock option in Korean would be 주식매입선택권/주식매수선택권. I see that the word “주식 인수권” is listed as the Korean word for stock option in the Naver dictionary; however, I do not believe this is the correct usage/translation. If you need, try to learn the definition of what “stock option” means in the finance context and try searching up “주식 인수권” in Korean to see if people indeed use it as the definition of “stock option.”
In my opinion, I do believe people use the word “스톡 옵션” most frequently. :)

5-4.

2. In the first paragraph, I did understand and caught it correctly for the meaning of "carrying cost. "
( This reminds me of the black chapter in module 1." Human Cost" )
I am just wondering if the word itself is interchangeable with " handling fee. " or "cost for maintenance"

-> I would say so! The key takeaway would be not to translate it as “shipping cost.”

3. In the third paragraph, " absorb increased production and labor costs", in this context, can I replace " absorb. " into " reflect"?

-> I believe absorb and reflect in this case will carry a very similar meaning so I would say yes. However, just be careful as this definitely will not be the case in some other situations!

I think that beautifully explained the subtle difference between effective & efficient. Thank you for sharing!

Take care!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A