Q&A

[Online TESOL] Quiz 2

Page

Name Yunaee Nam Date21-02-18 22:46 View2,244 Comment3

Content

Hello Allan,

I'm Yunaee Nam :)

Firstly,
I want to say thank you for teaching me the TESOL with your best skill everyday.
I've learned so much and got lots of confidence of it.

Now,
I want to ask you about an answer of question 2 in Quiz 2.
I'll leave my answer in the comment and my thought of it.

Thank you always~ :)

From,
Yunaee.

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Yunaee Nam,

In general, it is true that most of the time, providing English examples of a word is necessary.  That being said, we should not only rely on one technique. Other techniques can be better, such as pointing at real objects, drawing, etc.  In this case, with "glare" and "squeeze", while you should provide an English of how the word is used, I would say that acting would be essential to explaining the meaning, especially for "glare".  If we just explain that glare has a similar meaning to stare and state an example, I believe students would understand the meaning of the word, but not as well as they would if you were to act it out or ideally, act it out while providing an English example at the same time.  This would be similar to explaining the meaning of "car".  While we could provide them with an English example, it would obviously be best to simply point at a real car, draw it, or show a picture. 

Of course, with a lot of vocabulary, there is no 100% "correct" way to present them, but there are many techniques that people would generally assume would work best depending on the word.  While I kind of agree with you, and agree that some people are not good at acting, acting out "glare" and "squeeze" would not be terribly difficult.  Also, for "squeeze", you would explain it by saying that when you squeeze something you grab something strongly and tense your hands.  This is not good enough.  If you were to grab a cup, and visibly squeeze it while saying, "I am squeezing the cup" this would obviously be better. 

I hope that kind of makes sense.  While I do partly agree with you, "acting" is still the best answer for this question.  That being said, I hope my answer does not discourage you, as you should question what you have learned, and there may be other things that you disagree with. 

Anyhow, hope that helps and have a great weekend!

Yunaee Nam님의 댓글

Yunaee Nam 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi, Allan,
Did you have a good weekend?

Thank you for your respond.
Thanks to your specific explanation, I've got to know why the answer "acting" is the best answer for this question.

Again,
it's really honor meet and learn TESOL from you (The best teacher I've ever met)

Hope you have a nice day~!!
And see you on next Q&A :)

-Yunaee Nam-

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs