Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)_New 2020] Module 6 Questions

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-02-20 09:03 View3,269 Comment1

Content

Hello,

I'm Grace! Hope you are doing well these days!

I have a few questions regarding Module 6.

<6-2>

1. On Tuesday, the world soft-drink manufacturer issued a very technical statement from its Atlanta, Georgia headquarters, saying problems had been identified.

-> You translated this sentence like "화요일에 그 세계적인 탄산음료 제조업체는 조지아 주에 있는 아틀란타 본사에서 문제들을 확인했다고 말하면서, 기술적인 성명서를 발표했습니다.". Your translation gives me the feeling that there were problems in Atlanta, Georgia headquarters.

But I felt like this sentence wants to say that the manufacturer situated in Atlanta, Georgia issued a very technical statement saying problems had been identified. So.. I want to know which one is correct or if it can be different depending on our translation.

<6-3>

2. Marketers make a point that the new consumers of cosmetics are straight men who are embracing a new version of handsome.

-> I translated "make a point" as "강조합니다." Can it be also correct?

<6-4>

3. critical studies seminars

--> You translated critical as "비평적" But. I thought critical is translated as "중요한". What do you think about that?

4. During their teens, males and females both smiled about half time.

--> I don't know how this sentence can be translated like "10대의 경우, 남성과 여성 모두 절반정도만 웃었습니다." because I translated it like "10대의 경우, 남성과 여성 둘다 50%의 비율로 동일하게 웃음을 지었습니다." Could you elaborate?

<6-1>

1. John이 좀 더 자신에게 동기부여를 할 수 있다면 지금보다 더 좋은 직업을 구할 수 있었을 텐데.
--> If John could motivate himself more than now, he would be able to get a better job. (Grace's answer)
-->If John could motivate himself more than now, he would have gotten a better job. (My answer)

Is it wrong?

<6-2>

2.귀사의 의뢰인도 재정고문과 함께 동석하실 것으로 압니다.

--> We are aware/ We have noted.....

What about "We have been aware" ?

<6-3>

3. If I would be taller, I'd play volleyball.

--> If I were taller, I'd play volleyball. (Grace's answer)
--> If I would be taller, I would have played volleyball. (My answer)

Can my answer be an answer??

Thank you so much!!

Grace Kim

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hey Grace!

I am doing very well, thank you for asking! :)

I tried my best to answer your questions. I hope it helps!

—————————————— 

<6-2>

1. On Tuesday, the world soft-drink manufacturer issued a very technical statement from its Atlanta, Georgia headquarters, saying problems had been identified.
-> You translated this sentence like "화요일에 그 세계적인 탄산음료 제조업체는 조지아 주에 있는 아틀란타 본사에서 문제들을 확인했다고 말하면서, 기술적인 성명서를 발표했습니다.". Your translation gives me the feeling that there were problems in Atlanta, Georgia headquarters.
But I felt like this sentence wants to say that the manufacturer situated in Atlanta, Georgia issued a very technical statement saying problems had been identified. So.. I want to know which one is correct or if it can be different depending on our translation.

-> I absolutely agree with you! I am not sure why my translation sounded differently but I think what I meant to say is the same as your translation! :)

—————————————— 

<6-3>

2. Marketers make a point that the new consumers of cosmetics are straight men who are embracing a new version of handsome.
-> I translated "make a point" as "강조합니다." Can it be also correct?

-> Yes it is. Although I would say to be careful with translating “making a point” as “강조하다” in other situations, that sounds correct in this context. I think typically you can just think of the expressions like the following to understand when someone says “make a point” such as…

“What’s your point?”, “What is the point of your story?”
“니가 말하려고 하는게 뭐야?”, “네 이야기의 요점이 뭐야?”

or

“So the point I am trying to make is…”
“그래서 내가 말하려고 하는건…”, “그래서 요점이 뭐냐면…”.

—————————————— 

<6-4>

3. critical studies seminars

--> You translated critical as "비평적" But. I thought critical is translated as "중요한". What do you think about that?

-> I probably would not translate “critical” as “중요한” in this case. Why? Because the word you are translating is actually not just “critical”, it’s “critical studies”

To my knowledge, “critical studies” is a type of education where you question things that are controversial or basically that might be in need of a debate. I do see some translations like “비평 학습”, “비평적 연구” online but not exactly sure how it would be said in Korean.

When it comes to translating things like this, I suggest Googling the word and try to understand the usage of the expression.

https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/education/grad/med/critical.html

After you find something like above, I believe you will have a better idea how certain unfamiliar words should be translated!

—————————————— 

4. During their teens, males and females both smiled about half time.
--> I don't know how this sentence can be translated like "10대의 경우, 남성과 여성 모두 절반정도만 웃었습니다." because I translated it like "10대의 경우, 남성과 여성 둘다 50%의 비율로 동일하게 웃음을 지었습니다." Could you elaborate?

-> Hmm, I see the grammar can be quite tricky on this one, but I still do think my translation is correct. Let me try to elaborate.

So I believe the exact sentence is “During their teens, males and females both smiled about half the time.”

Here, let’s really understand what “half the time” means here first.

When we say “half something” we are saying “50% of something”, so “절반” in Korean.

Let me give you an example sentence.

“I go to the movie theatre to watch a movie 12 times a year, and I go by myself at least half the time.”
“나는 1년에 영화관에 12번 가는데, 적어도 절반은 나 혼자 가.”

Here, “half the time” means “절반은”, more strictly speaking “a half of 12 times.”

The reason why it is so confusing is because the context is not quite clear. In another word, we do not know what “the time” in this sentence is.

It could be “the time children under age 10 had smiled.”
It could be “the time teenagers were being observed.”

It could mean many different things.

If I were to add a bit more extra information to the sentence, I would say

“During their teens, males and females both smiled about half the time [the children under age 10 had smiled]”
10대에는, 남성과 여성 모두 [10세 이하의 아이들이 웃었던 양의] 절반 정도만 웃었다.

“During their teens, males and females both smiled about half the time [the time teenagers were being observed]”
10대에는, 남성과 여성 모두 [10대들이 관찰되고 있던 시간 중] 절반 정도만 웃었다.

I am assuming the reason why you said “50%의 비율로 동일하게” is because the previous sentence was telling us the ratio between male and female in children under age 10. However, the sentence in question is actually saying nothing about the ratio if we look at it this way. If it wanted to tell us the ratio, simply saying “smiled about half the time” is just too odd.

So overall, it is still a very awkward and weird sentence because the sentence is not very clear and almost misleading. However, I would still say “절반정도만” in either case because of my reasoning above! :)

—————————————— 

<6-1>

1. John이 좀 더 자신에게 동기부여를 할 수 있다면 지금보다 더 좋은 직업을 구할 수 있었을 텐데.
--> If John could motivate himself more than now, he would be able to get a better job. (Grace's answer)
-->If John could motivate himself more than now, he would have gotten a better job. (My answer)

Is it wrong?

-> No, your answer is not wrong!

—————————————— 

<6-2>

2.귀사의 의뢰인도 재정고문과 함께 동석하실 것으로 압니다.
--> We are aware/ We have noted.....
What about "We have been aware" ?

-> “We have been aware” sounds a bit weird. It feels unnecessary.

If you wanted to say “we have been aware” I think you have to use it in a situation where you must say that you were being aware the whole time.

For example,

“메이슨이 스파이였다는 소식을 듣고 모두가 놀랐지만, 나는 처음부터 그 사실을 알고 있었다.”

“Although everyone was shocked to find out that Mason was a spy, I have been aware of it from the very beginning.”

Something like this maybe? It still sounds a bit awkward in my opinion but this would be one example.

—————————————— 

<6-3>

3. If I would be taller, I'd play volleyball.
--> If I were taller, I'd play volleyball. (Grace's answer)
--> If I would be taller, I would have played volleyball. (My answer)
Can my answer be an answer??

-> No, if you wanted to say “내가 키가 더 컸더라면” then you would say “if I were taller”.

Generally speaking, you don’t usually put “if” and “would” together.

However, if the sentence was saying something like “나는 의사선생님에게 나의 키가 내 아빠보다 커질 것이냐고 물었다.”

you could say: “I asked the doctor if I would be taller than my father.”

but then, this sentence also can be written as,

“I asked the doctor if I were going to be taller than my father.”
“I asked the doctor if I were to grow taller than my father.”
“I asked the doctor if I will be taller than my father.”

——————————————

Let me know if you need more clarification!

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?