Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] question

Page

Name MINSEOK LEE Date21-02-27 23:36 View2,218 Comment1

Content

Dear professor,

Good morning. I'm Min seok Lee and just call me Min.

First of all, Thank you for your great lecture and feedback.

I have a concern, when I watch the video with your lecture, I can understand your opinion and also I think that's right. And then I think about it again later, I do ask for me like a ' is what I wrote wrong?' Actually I know that There is no perfect answer. but I've never lived in an English- speaking country. It just lived in France and Japan. Of course, I used to use English continuously since i was young. Because I have many foreign friends and i worked at Narita airport in Japan for ground staff.
However, I've been feeling it these days. My English skill is not correct. and I'm getting less confident. so when i finished homework. I think Was it good or wrong? and after i watched the video. I thought "Oh,..gosh,. I'm wrong again,."
Is this my feeling that also felt by other people? is it the normal?

For example, Module 1-1 K to E sentence No.9
반세기 전 과학자들은 인간이 4분내에 1마일을 주파할 수 있다는 생각을 비웃었다.
Half century ago, The Scientists scoffed at an idea that a man can pass 1 mile in four minutes. that was my first answer.
and after when i watched the video, i understood the professor's answer and opinion. but i want to know that is it wrong to use the vocabulary the "pass"

I'm just worrying that after. If i have a question, i can get the feedback in now for translation but when i couldn't ask you later, can i do well really? haha

I want to apologize for my concerns, and thank you so much reading it.

I will get it done! I wish I could take your direct class in Canada.

Best regards,

min

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Min!

First of all, thanks for sharing how you feel and I am truly glad you brought this up.

I think it is natural that you feel worried and less confident when you find out you didn’t get some of the answers correctly or you keep making simple grammar mistakes, etc. I’m sure many other students feel similarly. These things happen.

However, in my humble opinion, you wouldn’t feel less confident if you didn’t know what you are lacking. In other words, it’s most likely the reason why you are feeling less and less confident is just because you are learning more and more!

I know it’s tough and I know you are worried but as long as you keep trying, it will get better and better! :)

———————————————————————————————————————

For example, Module 1-1 K to E sentence No.9
반세기 전 과학자들은 인간이 4분내에 1마일을 주파할 수 있다는 생각을 비웃었다.
Half century ago, The Scientists scoffed at an idea that a man can pass 1 mile in four minutes. that was my first answer.
and after when i watched the video, i understood the professor's answer and opinion. but i want to know that is it wrong to use the vocabulary the "pass"

-> I understand that the word “pass” have meanings like 지나가다, 통과하다, 넘어가다 that might sound similar to 주파하다. However, when you say “pass one mile”, it sounds awkward.

So you might wonder, then “how do I know whether “pass one mile” sounds awkward or not?”

Here is how.

Simply try typing “pass a mile” on Google. Try looking up on News section. If you see the exact expression is used commonly on different websites/articles, then we know that this is most likely a correct usage.

If you try searching “pass a mile” on Google, the first result I see is “How to Run a Mile Without Stopping” Even when I go on to the news section, I actually cannot find a single article has the expression “pass a mile”, or “pass # miles”.

This might be confusing at first but once you get used to it, this will help you a lot when you need to check whether the vocabulary you used is commonly used by English speaking people or not.

———————————————————————————————————————

You do not have to apologize for your concerns and I am grateful that you decided to share it with me. Thank you and I hope it helped!

Kind regards,

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A