Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions Module 6

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-02-28 15:53 View2,532 Comment1

Content

Hi, Mason

I have just finished watching all videos for module 6 and will be taking final exam anytime soon.

Beforehand,I would like to clarify a few things in moudle 6.

E-K

6-1.
He's the son of Kim Jong-il's third wife( or maybe consort), a dancer named KoYong-hi~.

I do understand that you have covered the vocabulary 'consort' in Vocabulary session.
->I have seen you have tranlsated 그는 김정일의 세번째 부인(진짜 부인은 아닐 수도 있는)의 아들인데~~,is this okay to translate as " 첩실" ?

That kind of number-fiddling is apprarently common among North Korea's ruling set.
->Does it sound natrual if I tranlsate this sentence as " 이러한 숫자 조작은 북한에서 의례적인 일이다."

6-4.

On 3rd paragrah, for the last sentence, is this okay to translate " 반대 세력에 의해 남용되는"

---------------------------------------------------------------

K-E

6-1 Business Sentences

9. 용어에 대해 오해할 수 있으니 서명을 하기 전에 계약서를 최소 두번 읽으세요.
Grace translated asRead the contract at least twice before signing because the wording may be misunderstood.
->In this sentence, Can I use " confused" instead of " Misunderstood"?

6-3. Useful English

8. When I am speaking English
-> Is this okay to interchange with ' when I am speaking in English'. Are there significant differences?

Thank you.

Await your reply.

Best Regards,
Blaire

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Sorry for the late reply! Let’s see if I can help with your questions.

———————————————————————————————————————

E-K

6-1.
He's the son of Kim Jong-il's third wife( or maybe consort), a dancer named KoYong-hi~.

I do understand that you have covered the vocabulary 'consort' in Vocabulary session.
->I have seen you have tranlsated 그는 김정일의 세번째 부인(진짜 부인은 아닐 수도 있는)의 아들인데~~,is this okay to translate as " 첩실" ?

-> I would say so! The word “consort” as this meaning is not very common so I think 첩 or 첩실 sound just fine to me.

That kind of number-fiddling is apprarently common among North Korea's ruling set.
->Does it sound natrual if I tranlsate this sentence as " 이러한 숫자 조작은 북한에서 의례적인 일이다."

-> Hmm… I almost want to say yes but I would be very careful. Here, we are saying this fiddling with number is common in North Korea, so basically we are saying that this happens often. When you say 의례적인, it sounds like it is something that they regularly do because either it’s in their tradition or because they have to or something. I feel like the difference is very subtle but it sounds a little different for sure. Personally I would say 통상적인, 흔히 일어나는.

6-4.

On 3rd paragrah, for the last sentence, is this okay to translate " 반대 세력에 의해 남용되는"

-> That sounds perfectly fine to me.

K-E

6-1 Business Sentences

9. 용어에 대해 오해할 수 있으니 서명을 하기 전에 계약서를 최소 두번 읽으세요.
Grace translated asRead the contract at least twice before signing because the wording may be misunderstood.
->In this sentence, Can I use " confused" instead of " Misunderstood"?

-> You can say “confusing” not “confused”

So either

Read the contract at least twice before signing because the wording may be confusing.

or

Read the contract at least twice before signing because you may be confused by the wording.

6-3. Useful English

8. When I am speaking English
-> Is this okay to interchange with ' when I am speaking in English'. Are there significant differences?

-> No, there is no significant difference in my opinion!

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and