Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] A couple of questions before moving onto ITT exam.

Page

Name JINKYEONG LEE Date21-03-01 19:00 View2,228 Comment1

Content

Good Morning, Mason!

It was a pleasure having you as my instructor during my course. I have just completed the final exam yesterday.

I am just wondering if you could mark the final exam at your most convenient time.

1. Therefore, I have a question about the phrasal verbs ( which were on part o the test questions).

" 사들이다"

Just looking at the Korean definition, it appears to me that it can be translated into ' buy in '. However, the correct answer shows ' buy up'

I have actually looked up some phrasal verbs derived from' Buy', To buy in gives a feeling of purchasing something in large quantity or in bulk.

Buy up shows the definition of " buying all of something as much as you can get.".

To make a long story short, I am quite confused with these two.

2. Before I move onto the ITT test, I am considering practicing translation by using my TOEIC textbooks.

I have just chosen some praragrahs that I liked the most.

This is the sample passage that I will be working on. Do you think this will be helpful to prepare for ITT test? 
4a8961a5b02a9e7199936a93b48a3204c0b32bd3

Thank you.
Regards,
Blaire

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Blaire!

Sorry for the late reply! Let’s see if I can help with your questions.

———————————————————————————————————————

1. Therefore, I have a question about the phrasal verbs ( which were on part o the test questions).

" 사들이다"

Just looking at the Korean definition, it appears to me that it can be translated into ' buy in '. However, the correct answer shows ' buy up'

I have actually looked up some phrasal verbs derived from' Buy', To buy in gives a feeling of purchasing something in large quantity or in bulk.

Buy up shows the definition of " buying all of something as much as you can get.".

To make a long story short, I am quite confused with these two.

-> If I want to say “무언가를 많이/대량으로 사들이다” I would definitely use “buy up” over “buy in”.

Frankly, I am not sure if the expression “to buy in” is used as what you are describing in real life.

The only time I have heard the word “buy in” is maybe when you enter a poker tournament or something you pay the buy-ins, or perhaps some stock option related stuff. Of course this does not mean that the expression “buy in” will be never used as “사들이다”; however, I would say it’s way less frequent/common that “buy up” if you simply want to say “~을 대량으로 사들이다.”

2. Before I move onto the ITT test, I am considering practicing translation by using my TOEIC textbooks.

I have just chosen some praragrahs that I liked the most.

This is the sample passage that I will be working on. Do you think this will be helpful to prepare for ITT test?

-> Unfortunately, I am not able to tell you whether this is helpful or not as I am not to disclose any specific information about the ITT. I believe going over the last section of each module and reading over the translations carefully to see how they were formulated would be sufficient!

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

- Mason (Instructor)

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and