Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Final assignment and inquiries for teaching English

Page

Name jieun Oh Date21-03-01 21:08 View2,034 Comment1

Content

Dear Allan.

thanks for your detailed comment on final assignment.
checked your comment that lacked of detail in presentation stage.
So i want to check with you on it to make better
kindly check that explaining of structure is lack for students ? or do you have the other things on it ?

and we were talking about the reference or any books for teaching English over the phone last time.
you recommended the "Grammar In Use". do you the other idea ? or not
i would like to ask one more things. i have a plan to teach English to students soon in English
could you recommend any reference book or any guideline to speak English in teaching?
i believe that it has speaking pattern in English.
or if you have any idea to improve the English teaching skill overall, kindly give me some advice!
it will be helpful for the future and to practice my teaching English skill.
thanks !

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Ji Eun Oh,

First of all, sorry that it took me so long to get back to you! 

Anyhow, as far as your final assignment is concerned, while your presentation stage was fairly decent, I think it would have been better if you had gone into more detail about exactly how you would have presented prepositions of place.  Like, how would you explain "next to", "behind", etc?  Would you use visual aids?  It would have been better if you had explained that you would use visual aids for example.  For example, "put a ball next to the desk and say, "there is a ball next to the desk".  After that, put the ball in front of yourself and say, "there is a ball in front of me"...etc".  Something like that.

In relation to your other question, I still recommend "Grammar in Use".  You could also use it as a reference.  Other than that, for children, I could also recommend the "Let's Go" series.  They're designed for children who are just starting to learn English.  I've used them before in the past and thought they were pretty good.  Here is a link:  https://elt.oup.com/catalogue/items/global/young_learners/lets_go_fourth_edition/?cc=ca&selLanguage=en&mode=hub 

In order to further improve yourself, I only really recommend getting real-world experience at this point.  Once you start teaching, you will gain a lot of additional knowledge and quickly learn what works and doesn't work.  Always remember to evaluate yourself and your teaching abilities from time to time, and I am sure that you will improve.  In addition to that, don't forget to also try to improve your own English at the same time.  Perhaps you could find an English TV series or drama that you like and use that to improve your knowledge.  The better you understand and speak English, the better you can teach your future pupils. 

Well, I hope that helps!  I wish you the best of luck!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors