Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] questions about the test answers

Page

Name Gyeong Mi Jeong Date16-07-21 18:27 View4,564 Comment3

Content

Hi!.
first of all I'd like thank you for the wonderful lectures. They are very helpful for me to develop my professionalism in EFL..
However when I was taking the tests after the lectures I found some confusions about some of the answers. So here I 'd like to address some of my confusion and would like you to help me to clarify.

First, I couldn't find the correct answers because it seemed there were no answer in the choices.

All of the following things are just my opinion. (And sorry for my poor English. I'm not sure if I would be able to get across with you due to my English. :( )

in Module 1 test
 1. Self evaluation is not something that can be taught.
    this is the answer for the question.  But as you did in your lecture self evaluation is a thing that can be taught. You taught what self evaluation is and how to do it and things to consider doing it.
2. Pattern practice also can be done in pairs and in groups.
  let's say you are teaching comparatives. You can give students(ss) a set of cards with a picture and a corresponding adjective on it. After presenting or discussing the rule of how to make comparative sentences then ss can work on the pattern by themselves using the card. Also, if you provide a boardgame with picures ans various adjectives then ss can practice the target pattern playing the game.
7. Pretending to teach a class in front of a mirror could ba another way of observing you.
 Before you have an actual class, you want to make sure everything is fine such as your facial expressions, your gesture, and posture while writing on the board. You cannot check theses things if you don't use mirrors. Well you can videotape yourself, that could be another way to check those things as well.

Module 2
5. important vacabs should be written in the center (not in the margins) of the board. also you mentioned that only less(or not) important vocabs could be presented orally in the lecture. so I guess the answer for this question should be false.
9. for the open ended questions you aksed us to write the answer in 1 or 2 sentences. I wrote down 3 things to consider when writingo n the board including one thing that you didn't mention in the lecture and 2 things you said. But in comment you asked me write all of the things you addressed in the lecture.  So I'm not sure if this type of questins really asks us to provide 1 ro 2 senteces for the answer and to provide all the things mentioned in the lecture.

Module 3
4. One of the way to [resent the structure "not as --as --" cold be comparing two different students in the class.
  As you know, ss tend to be more interesed in themselves and like to talk about their real stories. When the target expression is "not as ...as..." , you can present a  sentence like "Seoyeon is not as fast as Dongbin in running.", "Juyeon's foot is not as long as Cheolho's." Therefore you can use the students( or thier names) in the class when you present the target expression.

Well I have wrtten some of questions that I had encountered during the 3tests. Since I have more tests to take after this, I would like to make sure your scoring system(I don't know maybe standard or criteria...) so that I wouldn't have any more confusions afterwards.

thanks for your time to read this pretty long writing. ^^!  Looking forward to more lectures and your reply!

Comment list

Admin님의 댓글

Admin 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Gyeong Mi Jeong,

This might take me a while to respond to!  I should mention right now that I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to actually write all of your observations here, because while they may challenge me, and some of my assumptions, I do believe that everyone has the right to question what they're taught!  Also, I should mention that because TESOL is not a science, there will be some points that we may disagree on, and it is okay to agree to disagree!

Anyhow, let's get started with your first point in module 1.  I actually kind of agree with you on your first point.  I did teach what self-evaluation is, and how to go about doing it, but at the same time I did not explain in detail how one could evaluate themselves.  I really do believe that self-evaluation actually takes practice, and that one gets better at discovering their strengths and weaknesses as time goes by, and develops the ability to address their weaknesses.  However, on the other hand, I haven't thought about that question for a long time, and maybe it should be changed.  In regards to your point about pattern practice, I agree with you, and think that your example is an excellent activity that could be done individually.  However, when I mentioned pattern practice in the lesson, I strictly meant a kind of 'question and answer' practice.  The activity you thought up does make a lot of sense, but 'pattern practice' in the sense that we discussed in class, just means asking questions and then having someone else answer them.  I still think it could be done individually, but why have students do it individually when it would make much more sense for them to practice in pairs, or possibly groups (although pairs makes more sense)?  In regards to your third point, I think it is perfectly fine to practice in front of a mirror before class.  Actually, it is a good idea, but not a very good way of observing how we would act in front of students.  For example, I could practice kicking a ball in front of a mirror, and I might be great at it!  However, if I were playing in a real soccer game, I would certainly stink!  The problem here is a lack of feedback from an audience.  Moreover, while I do think it is a good idea to boost your confidence, because it is not realistic, you're not getting an honest analysis/observation of your strengths and weaknesses. 

Okay, let's take a look at module 2!  Question 5 is definitely problematic, and the wording should be changed.  I do believe that important vocabulary should be presented orally AND written in the margins.  I do not think that it should be written in the centre however, as that is where structures should be put.  However, thank you for bringing this question up.  Since I only mark the written questions, and not the multiple choice or t/f questions, I don't often think of them.  This question needs to be changed.  In regards to your question about 9, I'm not sure what you're talking about to be honest.  I am unaware of the fact that you should only write one or two sentences.  Please disregard that, and always write as much as possible (seriously)!  Oh, and could you please point out where it says that you should only write one or two sentences?  I would like to change that!

In regards to your question about question 4 on the module 3 quiz, I partly agree with you, and partly disagree with you.  Of course it is possible for us to compare two different students to explain the meaning of "not as....as...", but I think it is a bad idea just because you might unintentionally hurt someone's feelings.  We have to keep in mind that students can be very emotional and sensitive, and for that reason I cannot endorse using students as examples. 

Wow!  I am tired!  Seriously though, since I don't often get much feedback on the t/f questions, and multiple choice questions, I do appreciate your feedback.  It looks like I will have to discuss some of these questions with management and possibly change a few.  However, do keep in mind that there will be times when you will disagree with what I, or Nimrit says.  Again, teaching is not a science, and some of the things we suggest, or methods we teach, you may completely disagree with.  However, I believe in general, that if they're followed, it will definitely benefit you, but everyone must discover their own strategies and methods on their path to becoming an efficient ESL instructor. 

Anyhow, thank you again, and I look forward to marking your future quizzes and tests.  Oh, and once again, please disregard that statement about writing only 1 or 2 sentences.  Please write as much as you want. 

Have a nice day!

Allan

Gyeong Mi Jeong님의 댓글

Gyeong Mi Jeong 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Thanks for your kind reply. It really helped me to come up with a right strategy in taking further tests(Well, I hope this works. :) ) As you said, teaching is not a science. We can't have the only answer which is always right and works in various teaching situations. But I understand that we also need to  find the basic ground rules and you wanted me to apply them in the lecture and the test. I agree on that.
And about the open ended questions , well, there is no way to attach the picture file that I just printscreened(?) here. Anyway it says in the question " part 3: short answer - write one or two sentences. "
So maybe you want to check the test pages. 

Have a great day! and see you in your lecture!

Allan님의 댓글

Allan 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Gyeong Mi Jeong,

I will have to get that change that!  Also, again, please don't pay attention to that message! 

Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to help you out and have a wonderful weekend!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors