Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Final assignment

Page

Name Gyeong Mi Jeong Date16-08-09 15:09 View3,751 Comment1

Content

Hi. I just finished the final assignment and attached the file on the page. I wanted to check if I had attached correctly so I tried to open the file that I had attached but I couldn't. There might have been an error. My original file was in MS word format but it seemed the file that I tried open to check was a zip file. I'll talk to the Korean agency about this. But I would be happy  if you can let me if my assignment has been submitted succefully or not. Thanks. Have a great day!

Just in case... I copied all my lesson plan and pasted  here.

English Lesson Plan

The topic of this lesson is speaking comparisons. This class is focusing on speaking skill and the aim is “Students will be able to speak comparisons between two items or animals.”. Therefore, the target language structure is “A is ~er than B.”. The target vocabulary are “faster, slower, smarter, taller, shorter.” The strategy for this lesson is activity-based learning which provides activities enabling students to practice and produce the target language by doing activities. The class consists of 20 students in grade 6. They are beginners. They’ve covered the vocabulary used in this lesson in the previous class and also went through how to change regular adjectives into comparatives. The class is 50 minute long.
The Lesson includes 5 stages: introduction, presentation, practice(controlled speaking activity), production(fluency speaking activity), and closing. The detailed lesson flow is as follows. T represents what the teacher say in the class whereas S indicates what the students say or respond to the teacher during the class.
The teacher greets the students and have a small talk with them.  The teacher presents the storybook “A Big Guy Took My Ball.” This book is written by Mo Williams and one of the stories of Piggie & Elephant series. The purpose of this activity is to motivate the students and introduce the target structure from the book naturally. The teacher asks several questions about the book before reading it and have the students guess what this story would be about. The teacher provides some guiding questions and write them up on the board. The questions are “Why did Piggie become angry? Who made her angry? What did Gerald do to help Piggie? Why couldn’t he help Pigge?”. The teacher starts to read the story. Make sure that all the students understand the story by reading the story with gestures, facial expressions and expression of emotion. After reading, ask the guiding questions provided before reading and share the answers in the class.
The teacher presents the aim of the lesson and the agenda on the board in English and in Korean. The teacher writes up the target expressions from the story on the board which are “He is bigger than me. Much bigger. I’m smaller than him. Much smaller.” The teacher then provides more comparative sentences such as “Mt. Baekdoo is higher than Mt. Halla. A train is longer than a car. An elephant is bigger than a mouse.” on the board. Ask the students to elicit the rule of making comparisons in English. The teacher writes the target expression “A is ~er than B.” on the board so that the students can refer to it at any time.
The teacher presents two flashcards at a time such as an airplane and a bike or a lion, a turtle. Work on creating comparative sentences with the students using the flashcards. Some possible sentences using the given pictures would be “An airplane is faster than a bike. A bike is slower than an airplane. A lion is scarier than a turtle.”. Then present the yutnori game which is a Korean traditional board game. The game board was modified to be used for the class. It has two items or animals on each space. Explain how to play this game. Get a student help to demonstrate the rules of the game. The teacher circulates and gives feedback if needed while the students play the game.
- Present the game board and explain how to play the game by demonstration. Encourage the students to use different adjectives to compare. As long as you can understand the meaning of the sentences that the students produce, do not be picky about their mistakes in pronunciation and grammar. Circulate and give feedback when it’s needed while the students play the game. After the game, take up 1 or 2 common mistakes and work on them with the class.
 REVIEW(for 5 minutes, in whole class): - Sum up the class and ask them to present one of their comparison sentences during the bingo game to see if she/he has achieved the aim. Ask the students which book they like better between “ A Big Guy Took My Ball!” and “Pigs Make Me Sneeze!” which was read in the previous class. Thank the students for their hard work and say good bye.

Comment list

Allan님의 댓글

Allan 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Gyeong Mi Jeong,

I actually just checked, and everything appears to be perfectly fine.  No need to worry!  However, I should tell you that since I'm quite busy these days it may take me a few days to mark your final assignment. 

Anyhow, I look forward to reading over and marking your final assignment soon!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors