Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Module 2 Questions

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-03-29 22:24 View3,827 Comment1

Content

Hello

I have some questions that I need to ask you in Module 2.

1.우리는 벌써 타사와 계약을 맺었습니다 : We already closed the deal with another company

--> Can I use the phrase ' made a contract ' instead of 'closed the deal' ?

2. 보고서 초안을 대충 검토해주십시오 :Please go over the draft of the report

--> Can I use 'go through' instead of 'go over' ?

3. 보고서 기한을 연장해주시겠습니까? :Could you extend the report dealine?

-->Can I not use 'expand' instead of 'extend'? What is the difference?

4. 둘째는, 경험있는 노동력이 필요하다는 점입니다. : We need an experienced work force.

--> I can use 'labor force' instead of 'work force' , right?

5. ~~~귀사는 당사의 서신에 회신조차 없이 오늘까지 아무조치 취하지 않고 있습니다. : You have not responded or taken action

-->Grace didn't translate '오늘까지'. If I want to translate '오늘까지', what would the Korean sentence be like? Can I translate it like "so far"?

6.~~귀사에 많은 불편과 손실을 끼친 데 대하여 진심으로 사과드립니다. : We apologize for the inconvenience and the time wasted....

-->I thought 손실 was not the same as 'the time wasted'. Will it be okay if I translate 손실 like 'the loss that you had' ?

7. 세부명세서를 받는대로 : When we receive your request

-->Can I translate it like 'when we receive your receipt' ? Honestly I don't know how to translate 세부명세서 into Korean.

8. When we translate '그들의 직업' , do we translate it like ' their jobs' or 'their job'? I am always confused about this. and what about 그들의 삶?? their life? or their lives?

9. ~~여유롭게 미용실에서 머리 손질을 하는 사람이 있습니다. : There is someone who is relaxing and getting their hair done.

--> I think this sentence is talking about one person. But why does Grace translate it like "their hair" ? I'm confused.

10. 두 회사의 시장가치 : their combined value

--> Can I use 'market value' instead of just 'value' ?

11. 치열한 경쟁을 벌이고 있습니다 : are competing aggresively

--> What if I want to use the word 'fierce'? How would the sentence be like?

12. 자율주행 자동차 : automobile

--> Grace didn't translate 자율주행 . But If I want to put '자율주행' in Korean sentence, how can I translate it into Korean?

Thank you!!

Grace.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Grace!

Thanks for all the amazing questions! Let’s see if I can help.

——————————
1.우리는 벌써 타사와 계약을 맺었습니다 : We already closed the deal with another company

--> Can I use the phrase ' made a contract ' instead of 'closed the deal' ?

-> “Made” sounds a little bit weird. Perhaps you could say, “signed a contract”?

——————————

2. 보고서 초안을 대충 검토해주십시오 :Please go over the draft of the report

--> Can I use 'go through' instead of 'go over' ?

-> I would say it’s fine but it feels slightly different. When you go through something, it sounds like you are going to read one by one thoroughly. I would personally say “go over” over “go through” in this case.

——————————

3. 보고서 기한을 연장해주시겠습니까? :Could you extend the report dealine?

-->Can I not use 'expand' instead of 'extend'? What is the difference?

-> When you say “expand,” think about making the area bigger. (확장하다, 늘리다, 넓히다)

When you say “extend,” think about making time/duration/things longer. (늘리다, 연장하다)

——————————

4. 둘째는, 경험있는 노동력이 필요하다는 점입니다. : We need an experienced work force.

--> I can use 'labor force' instead of 'work force' , right?

-> Yes, you can.

——————————

5. ~~~귀사는 당사의 서신에 회신조차 없이 오늘까지 아무조치 취하지 않고 있습니다. : You have not responded or taken action

-->Grace didn't translate '오늘까지'. If I want to translate '오늘까지', what would the Korean sentence be like? Can I translate it like "so far"?

-> I would use the word “yet” rather than “so far”. If you want to be more specific you could say “until today.”

——————————

6.~~귀사에 많은 불편과 손실을 끼친 데 대하여 진심으로 사과드립니다. : We apologize for the inconvenience and the time wasted....

-->I thought 손실 was not the same as 'the time wasted'. Will it be okay if I translate 손실 like 'the loss that you had' ?

-> I do agree! If we are talking about 손실 as in losing something, I would probably use the word “damage”? So something like “We apologize for the inconvenience and the damage/loss….”

——————————

7. 세부명세서를 받는대로 : When we receive your request

-->Can I translate it like 'when we receive your receipt' ? Honestly I don't know how to translate 세부명세서 into Korean.

-> I think 명세서 is usually translated to “statement” or “specification” depending on the context. I would translate it as “detailed statement” in this case.

——————————

8. When we translate '그들의 직업' , do we translate it like ' their jobs' or 'their job'? I am always confused about this. and what about 그들의 삶?? their life? or their lives?

-> Great questions! Short answer is both can be correct. If you want to decide whether you should use a singular or a plural form, think about the noun itself. So, when you say “그들의 직업”, do they have the same job? do they have different jobs? How about “그들의 삶”? Are we generally talking about a life? or very specific two individuals’ lives?

ex)

교사들은 그들의 직업을 자랑스럽게 여긴다.
-> Teachers take great pride in their job.

Mary와 John은 그들의 직업보다는 가족을 우선시 여겼습니다.
-> Mary and John prioritized family over their jobs.

——————————

9. ~~여유롭게 미용실에서 머리 손질을 하는 사람이 있습니다. : There is someone who is relaxing and getting their hair done.

--> I think this sentence is talking about one person. But why does Grace translate it like "their hair" ? I'm confused.

-> So the reason why you use “they” or “their” is because we do not know who this person is. So we don’t know whether this person is he, or she, or whatever their gender might be.

One way to replace “their” is to change it to “his/her”.

ex) “There is someone who is relaxing and getting his/her hair done.”

——————————

10. 두 회사의 시장가치 : their combined value

--> Can I use 'market value' instead of just 'value' ?

-> Absolutely!

11. 치열한 경쟁을 벌이고 있습니다 : are competing aggresively

--> What if I want to use the word 'fierce'? How would the sentence be like?

-> You could say…

“… are competing fiercely.”
“… are having a fierce competition.”

——————————

12. 자율주행 자동차 : automobile

--> Grace didn't translate 자율주행 . But If I want to put '자율주행' in Korean sentence, how can I translate it into Korean?

-> The word people use for 자율주행 is autonomous driving. If you weren’t sure whether it should be “automatic driving” or “autonomous driving”, try searching it up on Google News section and see which one is more frequently used in articles. This will help you get a better idea on which terminology is more frequently used.

——————————

I hope it helps.

Mason
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and