Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions about Module 4

Page

Name JUEUN KIM Date21-04-12 17:46 View2,907 Comment2

Content

Hi,

I have several questions about Module 4. So, here we go!

1. Title IX had just been passed the year before -- June 23, 1972.
--> It's kinda hard to translate it into Korean. So I couldn't understand this sentence properly. Could you translate it into Korean for me, please?

2. If you are not at a dinner party, and you say you work in education -- Actually you are not often at dinner parties, frankly. If you work in education, you are not asked. And you are never asked back, curiously.

--> I couldn't understand the joke honestly. Maybe because I don't know how to translate it..? So could you translate it into Korean for me?

3. "My one night out all week."

-->I know it is a very short sentence. But I still don't get it.. I translate it like "일주일에 한번 나온건데 왜 하필이면 나랑 얘기해.." considering the context of this passage. Is it right? Could you tell me the right translation?

1. 바로 꽥꽥 소리가 나는 '고무 닭 인형' 입니다. : This noisy test is the rubber chicken test.

--> Grace didn't translate '꽥꽥소리가 나는' into English. Will it be okay?

2. 나이키가 여성 무슬림 운동선수들을 위한 히잡을 공개했다. : Nike has unveiled a hijab for Muslim female atheletes.

--> Can I use "roll out" instead of "unveiled" ?

3. 지난 10월 요르단에서 열린 U17 여자 월드컵은 무슬림 선수들이 머리에 두르는 히잡을 쓰고 피파 행사에 참여한 첫 대회로 기록되었다. : Last October, the U17 Women's World Cup in Jordan last year recorded the first time Muslim players wearing hijabs at a FIFA event.

--> I thought "the first time Muslim players wearing hijabs at a FIFA event." would be the better translation. But Grace used 'wearing' which I still don't understand.. So could you elaborate on the grammar used in this sentence?

Thank you! I hope you have a great one!

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello!

Thanks for the questions and let's see if I can help you with this!

------------

1. Title IX had just been passed the year before -- June 23, 1972.
--> It's kinda hard to translate it into Korean. So I couldn't understand this sentence properly. Could you translate it into Korean for me, please?

-> "그보다 1년 전인, 1972년 6월 23일에 Title IX(타이틀 나인)의 법안이 통과가 되었었죠."

Title IX is a federal civil rights law in the US about prohibiting sex-based discrimination in school. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX)

------------

2. If you are not at a dinner party, and you say you work in education -- Actually you are not often at dinner parties, frankly. If you work in education, you are not asked. And you are never asked back, curiously.

--> I couldn't understand the joke honestly. Maybe because I don't know how to translate it..? So could you translate it into Korean for me?

-> Before we translate it, I think it would be helpful to obtain some background knowledge!

So there is this running joke about people in the education industry, so teachers or professors, are the most boring people to be with at a party! Because often they turn conversations into lectures.. and you do not want to listen to lectures at a party, right?

With this context, now let's interpret the sentence. (Your sentence actually had a typo in it so I fixed it as below!)

"If you are at a dinner party, and you say you work in education -- Actually you are not often at dinner parties, frankly. If you work in education, you are not asked."

"만약에 디너파티같은 자리에서, 본인이 교육분야에서 일을 한다고 말을 하면... 아... 근데 솔직히 디너파티에 자주 갈 일은 없죠. 교육쪽에서 일을 하면, 그런 초대는 못받거든요 ^^; "

"And you are never asked back, curiously."

"그리고 [만약에 초대를 받아도] 다시 초대받게되는 일도 없구요... 참 희한해요. ㅠㅠ."

Here, I tried to make it a bit more animating by using the emojis! haha. The speaker is using sarcasm as he makes his jokes so the most important thing is that we try our best to interpret messages meaning for meaning, not word for word.

------------

3. "My one night out all week."

-->I know it is a very short sentence. But I still don't get it.. I translate it like "일주일에 한번 나온건데 왜 하필이면 나랑 얘기해.." considering the context of this passage. Is it right? Could you tell me the right translation?

-> You can think "a night out" as "(날잡고/맘먹고, 특히 밤에) 나가서 노는 날"!

So, here when he says "Why me?" "My one night out all week.",

it means "아... 왜 하필이면 나야? 일주일에 딱 한번 있는 날인데..." in Korean.

Let's try to picture this! You are at a dinner party, and you are talking to this really boring guy, Mason, who works as a teacher who just keeps talking about business translation and interpretation, the faulty education system in the world, blah blah blah...

So you are going to think in your head, 'Gosh!! He is so boring!!! why do I have to spend my time talking to this boring person at a dinner party??? Today was supposed to be fun! Tonight is the only night I get to have fun after working all week!'

I sincerely hope that I am not a boring person in real life... but I hope this gives you a clearer idea! :)

------------

1. 바로 꽥꽥 소리가 나는 '고무 닭 인형' 입니다. : This noisy test is the rubber chicken test.

--> Grace didn't translate '꽥꽥소리가 나는' into English. Will it be okay?

-> Although I wouldn't say it is the most important thing, I believe interpreting it would be better! A duck goes "Quack" if you are looking for the correct onomatopoeia!

------------

2. 나이키가 여성 무슬림 운동선수들을 위한 히잡을 공개했다. : Nike has unveiled a hijab for Muslim female atheletes.

--> Can I use "roll out" instead of "unveiled" ?

-> Here, I believe you can. "Rolling out something" sounds more like you are launching a new product which in this case you will be able to say.

------------

3. 지난 10월 요르단에서 열린 U17 여자 월드컵은 무슬림 선수들이 머리에 두르는 히잡을 쓰고 피파 행사에 참여한 첫 대회로 기록되었다. : Last October, the U17 Women's World Cup in Jordan last year recorded the first time Muslim players wearing hijabs at a FIFA event.

--> I thought "the first time Muslim players wearing hijabs at a FIFA event." would be the better translation. But Grace used 'wearing' which I still don't understand.. So could you elaborate on the grammar used in this sentence?

-> I am not exactly sure what your question is here... If you are wondering why the expression "wearing hijabs" was used, it is actually quite common to say "wear a hijab" to say "히잡을 쓰다" just like how you would say "wear a hat", "모자를 쓰다"!

------------

I hope I could help!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration