[Online TESOL] Modele 5 Lesson 10 Video 4

Page

Name Ko Kawasaki Date21-08-07 18:07 View2,174 Comment2

Content

Hello.
I'm enjoying each lesson of yours.
I've been learning a lot.
Thank you!

I would like to ask about the explanation you gave us in Module 5 Lesson 10 Video 4.

Video Time <23:03>
The part "Then I asked them to write a few sentences about themselves, beginning "Last weekend I was wearing..." is explained as "Writing Stage".
But I thought it was "Production Stage" because it makes students use the structure "be wearing" and adjectives about clothes, and make their own sentences.

Could the production stage become writing stage if students do this in writing, and become speaking stage if they do this orally?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Ko Kawasaki,

First of all, thank you for your kind words of appreciation; I appreciate it!

Anyhow, you have asked an interesting, and fairly difficult question to be honest.  The line between what a production stage is and what a writing stage is can be blurred at times.  Honestly speaking, I disagree with how the text labelled that stage as a 'writing stage'.  If it were labelled as a production stage, I think it would be totally fine.

In my opinion, if your stage includes a controlled writing activity such as 'rearrange the words', 'correct the facts', etc., or a 'free practice' writing activity where students are given a model text, then it should absolutely be labeled as a 'writing stage'.  On the other hand, if you have a stage that directly follows a practice stage, where students are engaged in writing, for example a paragraph, using the vocabulary and/or structure(s) that they were just taught, then it should be labeled as a production stage.  I think that is an easier rule to follow.

Anyhow, hope that helps and have a great day!

Ko Kawasaki님의 댓글

Ko Kawasaki 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Mr. Allan Scafe

Thank you for answering my question.

I agree with you about the line between a production stage and a writing stage being blurred sometimes. I think these two have some aspects in common. Both are activities where students write something, and use vocabulary and structures taught before.

The rule you suggested is clear enough to sort it out and very helpful.
Thank you!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?