Glenn College
Q&A

[TCT TRANSLATION & INTERPRETATION] To polish the sentence

Page

Name NAYUN KIM Date21-12-27 11:50 View1,759 Comment1

Content

Carry coins in Cuba, Yemen, Columbia or Iceland and you could be more in touch with home than you realize.

you translated this sentence 쿠바, 예멘, 콜, 아이슬란드에서 동전을 들고 다녀라. 그리고 당신이 알게 되는 것 보다 고향과 연결되어 있을 것이다.
I dont understand what are you saying. plz make this sentence clearly..

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Nayun,

First I hope we understand the context clearly because reading the sentence by itself would make it indeed very difficult to understand what it is trying to say. So... let's ask ourselves this question first: What is the Article 2-1 talking about?

The article is talking about the country, Canada, and that is what we call our “home" in this paragraph!

Now we have a clearer understanding of the context, let’s see what this sentence is saying.

“Carry coins in Cuba, Yemen, Columbia or Iceland and you could be more in touch with home than you realize.”
(쿠바, 예멘, 콜롬비아, 아이슬란드에서 동전을 들고 다녀라, 그리고 당신이 알게 되는 것보다 당신은 고향(캐나다)과 더 연결되어 있을 것이다.)

So... why does carrying coins in Cuba, Yemen, Columbia or Iceland make you more in touch with home?

Because the coins they use in Cuba, Yemen, Columbia and Iceland are probably made in Canada! (or by Canadians)

Indeed, the paragraph further explains that the Royal Mint of Canada produces coins for 60 other countries, so we clearly know what the sentence above was trying to say.

I hope this makes sense!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and