Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 10

Page

Name Jieun Park Date21-12-30 09:35 View1,983 Comment3

Content

Dependent questions should be used when planning or thinking of questions.

I couldn't understand what that means exactly. Could you please explain more about it?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Ji Eun Park,

It can be difficult to understand the difference between dependent questions and independent questions.  I'll try to explain in a simplistic way: 

Basically, an independent question is a question that can exist by itself, without the need for further explanation or an additional question.  For example, "what do you like to do?", or "why did you move to America?" are examples of independent questions. 

On the other hand, dependent questions cannot exist by themselves.  They must be "connected" to a previous, independent, question.  So, for example, "why do you enjoy that?" or "do you think it was a good idea?" are examples of dependent questions because they cannot exist without another question being asked previously (in this case the first question is connected to the previous first question - "what do you like to do?", and the second question is connected to the previous second question - "why did you move to America?"). 

Does that make sense?  I hope it does and have a great day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors