Q&A

[Online TESOL] QUESTIONS:

Page

Name CHARLINE CHOI Date17-06-26 04:41 View3,730 Comment4

Content

Hello teacher allan,,,
I have some questions regarding module 4 quiz such as:
1. All of the following are pre-readings activities except:
Why is it the answer is no.3: (having students answer a number of questions related to the reading text)????----- I think this is still a pre-reading activity because this still makes the students eager and curious to read the text after they answer the question in order to know if their answers are correct. And that is why I chose the no.4: (having students create a number of questions that they would like to ask after being given the topic of the reading activity)------I think it will be better if the teacher and the students are together in making question after explaining the topic of the text and much better if the teacher will include picture, because based on my experience here in korea, students cannot feel hard making it, especially with elementary students. What I see with the choices are confusing. As what you said that in tesol there are many technique all we have to do is to balance it and it depends on our level of students and situation. I hope you will understand what I mean in here.
2. All of the following are good methods for correcting errors in large classes except:
Why is it the answer for this one is no.3 (asking questions around the class and having different students answer)----- I think this one is still ok because at least you let some students answer and if the answer is wrong you can correct it & I think it also helps the student’s practice their English skill and confidence. Compare to the no.4 choice which is (simply writing answers on the blackboard for students to check by themselves) in my own experience again here in korea, I really don’t like this one because some students might change their wrong answer inorder to gain higher score even they didn’t understand the topic & just simply write in the board without explaining, (unlike if you let some students to answer even not all of them because you are running out of time and they are many at least they speak and if the answers were wrong you are there to correct it), for me actually here in korea I encourage my students to talk or speak to gain confidence.
3. Which of the following is NOT a way to make to make practicing structures more
meaningful?
Why is it the answer is no.4 (getting students to make sentences from prompts) because I think this one is GOOD WAY TO MAKE PRACTICING STRUCTURES MORE MEANINGFUL, Because, this one is a good thing to do like (describe your morning routine) because prompts you can ask the students question with describe and tell so the students can give an elicit long answer which is meaningful because they need to think and used their brain while they answer.  My second reason is not all prompts activity (single word prompts & picture prompts) are mechanical because it all depends on the teacher, on how the teacher present the practice structure and enhance it.
Why is it the answer is not the no.2 choice which is (using situations that imply structure but let students decide what to say)---I think this is NOT the way to make practicing structures more meaningful, Because, letting the students decide what to say doesn’t mean that they are thinking before they talk or it doesn’t mean that they think before they speak because you can say without thinking. Many students just speak what they want to talk without thinking or analizing it if it is right or wrong. 

P.S
I am sorry if I write very long message to you. I hope you will not misunderstood this one.
I just want to open up about my experience and  what is in my mind.

always,,,
charline

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Charline,

This will take some time to answer, but I'll try my best!

In regards to your first question about module 4, I have to admit that you make a very good point.  Option number 4 is a good pre-reading activity, but like you said, it would be better to do it with a picture.  I admit, that your explanation of how to do number 3 would also be a good idea, but it depends.  I agree with what you said about making a balance, and modifying the ideas.  Actually all four options might be suitable, but they're just suggestions, and should be modified depending on one's experience and class.  Maybe if this question were "what is the weakest pre-reading activity out of the four options" it would be best.  I agree with what you wrote, but since I only mark the written questions, I do not think I can modify your score for this question, although I do agree with your opinion.  The wording of this question should be changed though.

In regards to your second question, I again partly agree with you, but I do think option 3 is the worst choice.  Like we discussed in class, this strategy can be okay when we don't have enough time, but there is always a better option.  You're right that with option #4 students might just change their answer, and this is obviously not good, but in this case it is only done to make sure that everyone has the right answer at the end (because it is not a test).  We would hope that they see the correct answer, and make sense of it, although of course you're right, some students will just copy it down, change their answer and not think of why they were wrong.  On the other hand, asking questions around the class is good if you don't have enough time, but does not involve the whole class.  Some students will just switch off and not pay attention.  I understand your answer, and it always depends on our own class, and how we conduct ourselves, but in general, I would say option #3 is the least effective approach.

In regards to your last question, this one I am really having a hard time remembering.  I agree with you about option #4.  Option #4 should be fine.  Option #2 in my opinion is also fine, since if we give students time to think, and then they use the structure to respond, I think it would be good.  There might be a serious problem with this question that I will have to take a look into.  If you could repost the question, with all the possible answers that would be helpful, since I can't access them myself without asking for assistance from our technical admin.  I feel like I'm missing something about this question, and once again, if you could repost the question with all four options, that would help. 

To briefly summarize, I think your problem in regards to the first 2 questions is mostly about style.  If you are able to use those strategies/methods effectively because you modified them, that is great.  However, in the TESOL course we are often discussing which strategies are generally the best to use.  These strategies are generally effective, but not all the time; it depends on the teacher.  Likewise, the strategies I talked about, and mentioned were not as good as the others, are generally not a good idea, but again, it depends on the teacher.  It is good that you can use these strategies, but just keep in mind that I'm trying to teach what the best general approach is.  However, once again, once someone starts working, they will find out how to balance things depending on their students and their environment.

I guess this is not the answer you wanted to read, but I hope everything made sense.  Wow, that was a lot of writing!  Luckily I had a lot of time to write today.  If you have any other questions, just continue to post.  I should note however, that while I was able to respond quickly today, sometimes it takes me a while to respond depending on how busy I am.

Anyhow, hope it makes sense, and have a nice day!

CHARLINE CHOI님의 댓글

CHARLINE CHOI 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

teacher allan ,,,,,
here are the full questions:

question no.1. All of the following are pre-readings activities except:
1. having students discuss the topic beforehand and giving their point of view
2. giving students a summary of the text with gaps, and having them try to guess how to fill in the gaps.
3. having students answer a number of questions related to the reading text.
4. having students create a number of questionsthat they would like to ask after being given the topic of the reading activity.

question no.2. All of the following are good methods for correcting errors in large classes except:
1. having students exchange books and maeked each other's work.
2. having students sit in groups and mark each other's work
3. asking question around the class and having different students answer.
4. simply writing answer on the blackboard for students to check for themselves.

question no.3. Which of the following is NOT a way to make to make practicing structures more meaningful?
1. letting students say real things about themselves
2. using situations that imply structure but let the students decide what to say.
3. letting students add something os their own .
4. getting students to make sentences from prompts.

honestly,,,, I don't know what to say........

always,,,
charline

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Charline,

Actually I was only wondering about the third question, not all of them, but thank you for posting that. 

In regards to the first question, I still think option number 3 is the worst.  I get your point, in that it could arouse their interest in the topic, but without knowing anything about the topic of the text, asking them questions related to the text might just be very boring and confusing. 

In regards to the second question, I still think option three is the best choice.  The question, "all of the following are good methods for correcting errors in large classes except:" is important.  All of them are methods, none of them are wrong, but in general, option three is the weakest method of the four. 

However, in regards to your third question, yes you are right, there is something wrong with this question, and I'm going to have to get it changed.  In the meantime, you, and of course others who got this answer wrong, will have to be compensated.  I'm not sure how that will be done, but perhaps I will have to remember to add a mark to your final assignment. 

Thank you for bringing that question to my attention, because it needed to be addressed.  You may not be happy about the other 2 questions, but just keep in mind that TESOL is not a science, and therefore there is no exact perfect answer, as you already know.  What might work well for you is good, but in general, it might not work well for others. 

Anyhow, I hope that helps, and I'll have to think about how to award you a mark later on.  Have a nice day!

CHARLINE CHOI님의 댓글

CHARLINE CHOI 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

dear teacher allan,,

Don't worry, now I am ok...I understand your all explanations and anyway I want to say THANK YOU,
for your good advice. I will keep that in mind..
Still, I am happy for your comments....thanks alot

godbless and more power to you !!!!
always,,,
charline

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and