Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Questions from module 4(K to E)

Page

Name JISOO LEE Date22-03-06 04:32 View1,725 Comment1

Content

1. 사무실을 떠나기 전에 요청하셨던 임대 계약서 사본과 열쇠가 여기 있습니다.
Here is the requested copy of the lease/rental contract/agreement and the keys before you leave the office.
* 선생님 설명 중에서 뒤에 여러 명사들이 오지만, here is라고 알려주셨습니다.
Here 다음에는 항상 is가 오는건가요? 잘 이해가 가지 않습니다.

2. John은 휴가에서 돌아오는 날 휴대폰을 다시 개통하기로 했다.
John decided to reactivate his phone when he returns from vacation.
* 왜 여기서 the vacation이 아니라 그냥 vacation인가요?

3. 실내 디자이너가 사무실을 꾸민 뒤 가구 숫자가 적어졌다.
There was less furniture in the office after the interior designer was finished with it
* 여기서 그냥 finished 가 아니라, was finished --> 왜 be동사가 들어가나요?
인테리어 디자이너가 끝내진게 아니라 직접 마친건데, finish는 be동사와 함께 쓰여야하나요?

4. 박물관 재건축 공사로 수개월간 시민들이 제대로 전시회를 볼 수 없었다.
The public could not see the exhibit/ properly(well x) because of/due to the museum renovations
* 여기서 renovation 이 아니라 renovations를 쓴 이유?
이처럼 단수, 복수로 쓰기 애매할 때는 어떻게 하는지 모르겠습니다.

5. 최근의 대량 주문 때문에 인사부에서는 더 많은 운영자를 채용해야 했다.
The HR department/The personnel department had to employ/recruit/hire more operators due to/because of the recent large orders.
* 대량 주문을 large orders 대신 massive orders도 가능한가요?

6. John은 낮에는 경영학을 가르치고 저녁에는 대학원에 다닌다.
John teaches business in the day/during the day and goes to graduate school at night/in the evening.
* 여기서 in the day/ during the day 대신 in the daytime 도 가능한가요?
저녁은 in the night time도 가능한가요? night time 은 완전 새벽까지 하는 야간조 느낌인가요?

7. 회사규정에 따르면 팀장들은 직무내용 설명서에 언급하지 않은 특별 혜택을 받을 수 있도록 되어 있다.
The management is entitled/has right to special benefits that were not written/stated in the job description/position/work/manual according to company policies.
* 선생님은in the job description으로 알려주셨는데, on the job description은 어색한가요?
* 일반적으로 회사 규정을 이야기할 떄, company policies가 더 맞나요 company regulations 가 맞나요?

8.결과가 좋지 않은 보고서를 보고할 때는 상사의 기분을 먼저 확인하세요.
Please check the mood of your supervisor before you give a report with a bad/negative result.
* 결과가 좋지 않은 보고서 : dismal reportà 이거는 틀린 표현인가요???? 처음 답변은 이거 말씀해주셨는데, 그 뒤에는 report 자체가 bad 할 수 없다고 하셔서..;;

9. 그 사람은 좋은 현장 팀장이 되기 위해서 근로자와 많은 공감대를 형성하려 한다.
* 공감대를 형성하다 : form a consensus, build a consensus 이 두 표현이 많이 쓰는 표현인가요?

10. 요즘 세상에서 성공하기는 매우 힘들다. 어떤 사람들은 다단계 판매를 통해 문제의 해결책을 찾는다.
* find a solution from network marketing.(from 쓰면 틀리나요?)

11. 다단계란 최소한의 노력으로 돈을 버는 사업이다.
* make money 대신 earn money 도 가능한가요? fluent한 표현인가요?

12. Some people find a solution/an answer by/through a network marketing/multi-level marketing. Network marketing is a business where you can make money with minimal effort
* 여기서 effort를 단수형으로 쓴게 궁금합니다. 한국말로 단복수가 애매한 이런 노력과 같은 표현은 단수로 써야하나요 복수로 써야하나요?

13. Before you know it raking in the bucks
*여기서 it 다음에 바로 raking 이 오는게 이상합니다. it is 가 맞지 않나요?

14. Network marketing sounds possible but it is not as easy as it seems.
* 여기에 it is not that easy 쓰면 너무 casual 한가요?

15. 수백명의 사람들이 당신 밑으로 들어오게 된다
hundreds of people will be working for you.
* 말 그대로 수백명의 사람이 모일것이다라고 할 때
선생님은 gather은 collect 느낌이라 잘 안쓴다고 하셨는데, 그럼 gather people이라는 말은 잘 안쓰이는 건가요? 그럼 통상 사람을 모을 때 뭐라고 쓰나요?

16.Please be aware/note the increase in price at this time will negatively affect revenue/profit/sales.
* 여기서 affect 대신 impact on 써도 되나요? effect 와 impact의 뉘앙스 차이가 어떻게 되나요?

17. 그럼에도 불구하고 손실을 최대한 줄이기 위해 최선을 다할 것이므로 걱정은 하지 마시기 바랍니다.
Despite all this, rest assured, we will do our best/put all efforts to reduce/minimize losses.
* 여기서 despite all these가 아니라 this인 이유가 뭔가요? all이 있는데...

18. (o) such as books and etc. etc 붙이려면 noun 바로 되에 오면 된다는 말씀이시죠? 이해를 잘 못했습니다.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Jisoo,

Here are my answers to your question. I have left a note for you to read at the very end of this comment.

1. 사무실을 떠나기 전에 요청하셨던 임대 계약서 사본과 열쇠가 여기 있습니다.
Here is the requested copy of the lease/rental contract/agreement and the keys before you leave the office.
* 선생님 설명 중에서 뒤에 여러 명사들이 오지만, here is라고 알려주셨습니다.
Here 다음에는 항상 is가 오는건가요? 잘 이해가 가지 않습니다.

-> In terms of grammar, it should be “Here are” technically. Still, it wouldn’t be weird to say “Here is” as that’s how many people say in a colloquial sense.

2. John은 휴가에서 돌아오는 날 휴대폰을 다시 개통하기로 했다.
John decided to reactivate his phone when he returns from vacation.
* 왜 여기서 the vacation이 아니라 그냥 vacation인가요?

-> Context depending. Please check my comment at the end of this post.

3. 실내 디자이너가 사무실을 꾸민 뒤 가구 숫자가 적어졌다.
There was less furniture in the office after the interior designer was finished with it
* 여기서 그냥 finished 가 아니라, was finished --> 왜 be동사가 들어가나요?
인테리어 디자이너가 끝내진게 아니라 직접 마친건데, finish는 be동사와 함께 쓰여야하나요?

-> The expression “be finished” is just an adjective form of the verb “to finish.” So, it is saying “인테리어 디자이너는 [그 일을] 끝을 맺었다.”

Essentially there is no difference in meaning.

However, if you wanted to say just finished, you would say

“There was less furniture in the office after the interior designer finished it”

4. 박물관 재건축 공사로 수개월간 시민들이 제대로 전시회를 볼 수 없었다.
The public could not see the exhibit/ properly(well x) because of/due to the museum renovations
* 여기서 renovation 이 아니라 renovations를 쓴 이유?
이처럼 단수, 복수로 쓰기 애매할 때는 어떻게 하는지 모르겠습니다.

5. 최근의 대량 주문 때문에 인사부에서는 더 많은 운영자를 채용해야 했다.
The HR department/The personnel department had to employ/recruit/hire more operators due to/because of the recent large orders.
* 대량 주문을 large orders 대신 massive orders도 가능한가요?

-> Yes you can.

6. John은 낮에는 경영학을 가르치고 저녁에는 대학원에 다닌다.
John teaches business in the day/during the day and goes to graduate school at night/in the evening.
* 여기서 in the day/ during the day 대신 in the daytime 도 가능한가요?
저녁은 in the night time도 가능한가요? night time 은 완전 새벽까지 하는 야간조 느낌인가요?

Yes you can use ‘in the daytime/night time.’

Generally yes, night time feels quite late. When we say “저녁” we usually mean ‘evening’

7. 회사규정에 따르면 팀장들은 직무내용 설명서에 언급하지 않은 특별 혜택을 받을 수 있도록 되어 있다.
The management is entitled/has right to special benefits that were not written/stated in the job description/position/work/manual according to company policies.
* 선생님은in the job description으로 알려주셨는데, on the job description은 어색한가요?

-> I believe you would usually say ‘in the job description.’

* 일반적으로 회사 규정을 이야기할 떄, company policies가 더 맞나요 company regulations 가 맞나요?

-> Probably the ‘company policy.’ Regulation sounds more strict and rigid.

8.결과가 좋지 않은 보고서를 보고할 때는 상사의 기분을 먼저 확인하세요.
Please check the mood of your supervisor before you give a report with a bad/negative result.
* 결과가 좋지 않은 보고서 : dismal reportà 이거는 틀린 표현인가요???? 처음 답변은 이거 말씀해주셨는데, 그 뒤에는 report 자체가 bad 할 수 없다고 하셔서..;;

-> I would understand what you mean by “dismal report” but when we say “결과가 좋지 않은 보고서” we are saying that it is the ‘result of the report’ that’s bad not the report itself. If you were saying ‘dismal report’ then the back translation would be 안 좋은 보고서, which still makes sense to me but there is a chance of mistranslation I guess.

9. 그 사람은 좋은 현장 팀장이 되기 위해서 근로자와 많은 공감대를 형성하려 한다.
* 공감대를 형성하다 : form a consensus, build a consensus 이 두 표현이 많이 쓰는 표현인가요?

-> Yes you can. Something casual would be “building common ground”

10. 요즘 세상에서 성공하기는 매우 힘들다. 어떤 사람들은 다단계 판매를 통해 문제의 해결책을 찾는다.
* find a solution from network marketing.(from 쓰면 틀리나요?)

-> It is fine.

11. 다단계란 최소한의 노력으로 돈을 버는 사업이다.
* make money 대신 earn money 도 가능한가요? fluent한 표현인가요?

-> Generally, yes. If you talk more closely to financial experts, you might find a subtle difference between the two.

12. Some people find a solution/an answer by/through a network marketing/multi-level marketing. Network marketing is a business where you can make money with minimal effort
* 여기서 effort를 단수형으로 쓴게 궁금합니다. 한국말로 단복수가 애매한 이런 노력과 같은 표현은 단수로 써야하나요 복수로 써야하나요?

13. Before you know it raking in the bucks
*여기서 it 다음에 바로 raking 이 오는게 이상합니다. it is 가 맞지 않나요?

-> The expression “Before you know it” is separate from what’s coming next.

I am not sure where you got this sentence from but this is not really a sentence.

You can say something like:

Before you know it, you will be raking in the bucks.

14. Network marketing sounds possible but it is not as easy as it seems.
* 여기에 it is not that easy 쓰면 너무 casual 한가요?

-> It sound fine to me.

15. 수백명의 사람들이 당신 밑으로 들어오게 된다
hundreds of people will be working for you.
* 말 그대로 수백명의 사람이 모일것이다라고 할 때
선생님은 gather은 collect 느낌이라 잘 안쓴다고 하셨는데, 그럼 gather people이라는 말은 잘 안쓰이는 건가요? 그럼 통상 사람을 모을 때 뭐라고 쓰나요?

-> When you say you gather people, it is like you are bringing people one by one, to do something together.

16.Please be aware/note the increase in price at this time will negatively affect revenue/profit/sales.
* 여기서 affect 대신 impact on 써도 되나요? effect 와 impact의 뉘앙스 차이가 어떻게 되나요?

if you are using “impact” as a verb instead of the affect, then you will not put “on” after.

Effect and impact are very similar but generally a good translation for these words would be:

Effect: 결과 (어떤것 때문에 일어난 일)
impact: 영향/충격 (어떤것이 다른것에 큰 영향을 주는것)

17. 그럼에도 불구하고 손실을 최대한 줄이기 위해 최선을 다할 것이므로 걱정은 하지 마시기 바랍니다.
Despite all this, rest assured, we will do our best/put all efforts to reduce/minimize losses.
* 여기서 despite all these가 아니라 this인 이유가 뭔가요? all이 있는데...

-> “Despite all this/that” is an expression. In some cases, it might not make sense grammatically but still commonly used.

18. (o) such as books and etc. etc 붙이려면 noun 바로 되에 오면 된다는 말씀이시죠? 이해를 잘 못했습니다.

-> Yes, that is correct. There is generally no “and” before etc.

Instructor Comment:

Jisoo, I think the questions you are asking are amazing. Keep asking questions, because that’s exactly how you learn.

Overall, I can see that you are very concerned with the grammar and you keep trying to find the reason why something happens or something doesn’t happen in a sentence. At this point, this might not be the best way to improve your English.

What we need to understand is that grammar errors will exist in all languages sometimes and they will not look always right, unlike mathematics.

Think about in Korean, how many Korean people know that the correct way of writing “어따대고 반말이야?” is actually “얻다 대고 반말이야?”?

Let’s say you have a friend, an English speaking foreigner who is trying to learn Korean and they are asking you “Why did this person write ‘어따대고’ when it is actually ‘얻다 대고’? Why did they do that? Could you please explain why?”

What would you say?

You will probably just say “Oh they sound the same when you speak in Korean but technically it’s supposed to be “얻다 대고” but not many people really know that.”

It is just like that! You cannot always come up with a reason that something is a little unorthodox when it comes to grammar. Many English speaking monolinguals still will say things that might not make much sense in a grammatical sense.

Some questions you asked did not have a clear answer from me that is due to the reason above, or simply a lack of context we have from one sentence. Try not to worry too much about the grammar. Try reading more in English, but not just news articles. Read books. Novels. Autobiography. Listen to audiobooks. Go on community forums that are in English like Reddit. Try watching YouTube videos where English speaking people are just talking about silly things. Because there are many things you can't just study and memorize. You need to acquire it from your own experience.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and