Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Quiz 8_ Module 2

Page

Name YOUNGWOO YOUNGWOO LIM Date17-10-12 20:00 View3,479 Comment3

Content

Hi Allen,
First of all, I appreciate you for the lectures you provide. I have been enjoying this course with you.
Turning to the point, I have just finished the quiz for module 2. However, I have one question, which is as below.
Q.8 Asking our students to translate a word is superior to simply translating a word for them (T/F).
I think asking them to translate a word is a just good method for checking for understanding.
However, Simply translating a word is a still good way to present some vocabulary like passive words.
The point is that two methods are used in a different way so how can you say one of them is superior?
Also, I believe you have never mentioned which one is superior between them, and the questions seems quite ambiguous..
I look forward to hearing from you soon :)
Thanks,
Youngwoo

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Young Woo,

You make a very good point, and of course you're right, I never mentioned which of the two is superior to the other.  However, that being said, we both know that if we translate too often, it will have a negative impact on our class as it will lessen the English environment.  On the other hand, we wouldn't want to check for understanding by asking them to translate all of the time of course, but it can be a quick, simple way to check for understanding and then move on. 

Overall, I would have to say that getting students to translate is just a bit better.  You made a good argument, but unfortunately, if you think about it, one is better than the other.  Some of the questions on the quizzes can be quite tough and ambiguous. 

Anyhow, I hope that helps.  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post and have a wonderful weekend!

YOUNGWOO LIM님의 댓글

YOUNGWOO LIM 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Hi Allan,
Thank you for your comment. I meant that the questions was too general though.
As I mentioned, asking our students to translate a word cannot be used presenting new words.
It is just one of good ways to check for understanding. However, translating a word is one of the ways to present new words.
If the questions was like "asking our students to translate a word is superior to simply translating a word for them, in order to check for understanding", I would have chosen "TRUE". Well, in this case, the questions could become too easy though. Yet, I just wanted to say my thought.
Anyhow, thank you for your comment again, and have a good weekend!
Thanks,
Youngwoo

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi again Young Woo,

You make a very good point.  The question is ambiguous and I think it should be changed.  Since I only mark the written questions, sometimes I forget about the t/f and multiple choice questions. 

I will have the wording of the question changed so that it is less ambiguous in the future!  Have a good weekend!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors