Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] I have questions.

Page

Name HYUNKYUNG KIM Date22-03-15 23:10 View1,645 Comment1

Content

Dear teacher Mason,

Hello Mason, this is Hyunkyung Kim in your online class.
I have some questions about interpreting sentences in E to K Module 2 class.

In the TED talk of module 2-2, there is a sentence " it's the very elderly who have comorbidities, who have diabetes, who have other disease, who are at risk". I interpreted this sentence in Korean "만성질환, 당뇨, 기타 다른 질환을 앓고 있는 바로 그 노인분들이 위험합니다."
Because I thought "the very elderly" in this sentence means adjective to say that the quality something has is very noticeable or typical. Compared to teacher's instructions in class, you said that "the verly elderly" in this sentence means people who are very old. But could it be interpreted as "바로 그 노인분들" in Korean?

And when translating "intialed" in pharagraph module 2-3, could I translate this word in Korean "이름의 이니셜로 서명을 하다." ? Because I usually cross out and sign my Korean name on it or stamp on it when revising a document.

To sum up, I wonder I could interpret "the very elderly" in "바로 그 노인들" and translate "initial" in "이름의 이니셜로 서명하다" in two sentences.

Have a good day Mason.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Hyunkyung,

For your first question, I am having difficult time understanding what you exactly meant by:

“Because I thought "the very elderly" in this sentence means adjective to say that the quality something has is very noticeable or typical.“

So just to make sure, here “the very elderly” should be “굉장히 늙은 노인” as the word elderly can be used as a noun to mean an old person.

The only problem I see from your interpretation “바로 그 노인분들” is that “그” sounds way too specific for this. We use “the” because we are specifying “old people (elderly)” from a general population. However your interpretation makes it sound like we are specifically talking about a group of old people whom we already know about, which is clearly not the case. I would probably generalize it more and say “노인분들” rather than “그 노인분들.”

For your second, yes, 이름의 이니셜로 서명을 하다 is definitely correct.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and