Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Module 1 Quiz

Page

Name EUN KYUNG PARK Date17-11-08 23:53 View3,171 Comment1

Content

Dear Allan,
How are you?
First of all, thanks for the great course. I am so glad to take this and learning so much right now.
I 've got few concerns, please advise me of quiz4 and 6 answers.
I've just finished Module-1Quiz and concerned about Q4 & Q6 answers.  I am not clear on these answers...
These are the followings;
#Q4. (....Problems associated with pairwork and groupwork activities except: ) I'm not clear why this answer is# 4.(Noise).
In Module 1 Lesson 2-2 Pairwork and groupworks - #2 Advantages and problems. I learned as problems are noise, more mistakes and difficult to control.
All of the answers1-4 could be problems but and I've chosen answer#3.(some students could goof off and make trouble.) Isn't this should be part of answer#2 (difficult to control) and also learned in "how to minimized problems?".  but the correct answer is  #4 Noise.  Is it because 'Noise' could be also 'good noise?' This question was pretty confusing for me...
#Q6. (True or False) Setting a time limit and monitoring the class are 2 things teachers can do before starting a pair or groupworks activity. I've chosen True. Because in the lesson,  in a pair or groupwork activity when students are confused they start causing trouble; do give students a time limit, walk around and monitor the classroom, tell them that some pairs and groups will have to present.. etc... Why advise students with the time limit and monitoring the class before starting a pair or groupwork activities are wrong?  isn't it more efficient and let students be more focus?
I will wait for your feedback,
Thank you and regards,
Eun-Kyung Park

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Eun Kyung Park,

Well, let's take a look at your questions!

In regards to question 4 on the first quiz, you basically already mentioned why the answer is option #4 (noise).  As discussed in class, while it may seem that noise is a problem, it actually isn't because noise can be 'good noise'.  While noise may bother some teachers, usually older teachers, as long as your students are speaking English, you should be happy!  The question is basically a trick question.

In regards to question 6, it is also a tricky question.  It is important to read the question very carefully.  "Setting a time limit and monitoring the class are 2 things teachers can do BEFORE starting a pair or groupworks activity".  The important word here is 'before'.  While you can set a time limit before starting the activity, monitoring the class is something you do while the students are working on the activity.  Again, this is kind of a tricky question.

Well I hope that makes sense.  Some of the other questions you will come across while taking the TESOL course are quite tricky.  I really recommend reading the questions in detail and making sure you understand them before answering, because they can be quite tricky. 

I hope that helps.  If you still have any questions, feel free to post on the Q&A board again, and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors