Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Translation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Use of a/an and the

Page

Name Sinae Lee Date22-04-07 08:27 View1,759 Comment2

Content

Hi, I  tought that I understood when to use a, an and the.
But when it comes to writing I often get very confused.

For instance,

1. 건축설계는 완성되었지만 건설 입찰이 진행 되기까지 건축가들은 몇 주간 더 일없이 지내야 했다.
My version) Architectural design is completed but architects stayed idle until the bidding starts.

Answer) The design for the building was completed, but the architects had to sit idle,
Although the building design was completed, the architects had to be without work/ had to be with no work /sit idle until the construction bids are processed/ in.

영작할 때 a,an,the의 사용을 안헷갈리고 정확하게 사용할 수 있는 방법이 있을까요? 설명 부탁 드립니다.

Also do you have any tips for the mid-term test?  Thank you. 

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hello Sinae,

Using articles (a, an, the) can be one of the trickiest part of learning English. First, you want to clearly understand the difference between 'a' and 'an', which I don't think it is very difficult. If you know the difference between 'a' and 'an', now you need to figure out when people use 'the' over 'a/an' in writing. There are MANY reasons to use 'the' before a noun. One of the easiest way to remember when to put 'the' is to see whether that noun is general or specific. It is virtually impossible for me to explain all of the possibilities of why/when we use 'the' over 'a/an'. I highly suggest finding lesson videos online (I bet there are many YouTube videos on this topic!) Once you understand the concept, you have to read A LOT of text in English, and see why & where 'the' is used over 'a/an'. This is not going to be an easy process as I said from the very beginning but something that you can definitely learn!

For your midterm, I strongly suggest that you watch all of the lecture videos and check out the part where the instructors say "many students translate this XXXXX but actually this is not correct! It should be OOOOO and it's because...." Also, read your questions/passages very carefully! :)

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and