Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] Question about Module1 question#2&4

Page

Name Dong Min Oh Date18-01-23 04:23 View3,658 Comment3

Content

Hi, Allan. How are you doing today? this is Dong Min Oh.
I have some questions about the answer of #2 and 4 Module1.

Question #2 says 
All of the following can be done individually, in pairs, or in groups, except:   
  1) Reading a text and answering questions
    2)Grammar exercises
    3)Short writing exercises
    4)Pattern practice
I picked answer 2 but it says 4 is the right answer. However, from the video, it says Pattern practice can be falling into pair-work activity. (although, it seems like every answers can fit)

Another question is #4.
All of the following are problems associated with pairwork &groupwork activities except:
    1) Students will make more mistakes
    2)Some students might be difficult to control
    3)Some students could goof off and make trouble.
    4)Noise
Again, I feel like there is no answer for this. They seems like all the right answers. However, this answer shows Noise. In the video, I learned Noise is one of the problem when we are using pairwork and groupwork activities.

Please let me know what I didn't catch or where I made mistakes.
Have a good one! :)

Comment list

Dong Min Oh님의 댓글

Dong Min Oh 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Okay, so I checked what other students posted on and how you answered for these questions.
No offense, but still don't understand.
 "Pattern practice is about asking questions and getting answers, and therefore pattern practice is a very suitable activity for pairs, and maybe even groups.  However, pattern practice is not a very suitable activity that can be done individually. " is how you made a comment. But what I'm thinking is that the question is asking "or" not "and." so I feel like it doesn't have to be include all three (individually, pairs, groups). If the question was asking  All of the following can be done individually, in pairs, "and" in groups, except: ~~ then yes! I understand but.... please, let me know what you think about this.

and for the #4, I read, it's because there is a "good noise," the answer is noise. However, that also means there is a "Bad noise." so if it can't be the answer, why not can be the answer? you know what I mean? I know, this question trying to be tricky, but, if there is another way to be answered I don't know if you can consider this question as tricky. I'm thinking the multiple choices are not clear or the question itself should mention of saying choose the "Best" answer(maybe need more info. or specific).

this is something students can easily figure out if the question is clearly asking, and each point is important to us. Hope you understand and like I said before, I'm not trying to be offensive, just the questions are hard to understand to pick the right answer.

Please let me know, if there are some misunderstand that I need think over. Thanks !!

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Dong Min Oh,

It is okay if you still don't understand, both of those questions were meant to be tricky, especially question #2.

Unfortunately though, you have already really answered your question.  In regards to question 2, the question was: "[a]ll of the following can be done individually, in pairs, or in groups, except...".  The question neither includes "and" nor "or", it simply means that all of activities can be done by individuals, in pairs, or groups.  The activities must be suitable for all the activities below.  However, as you already know, pattern practice is the answer because it does not make sense that you would have students do a pattern practice activity individually.  I'm also a bit confused because you wrote:  "[i]f the question was asking  All of the following can be done individually, in pairs, "and" in groups, except: ~~ then yes! I understand but...".  Okay sure, but again, the question was:  "[a]ll of the following can be done individually, in pairs, or in groups, except", so it is hard for me to understand why you misunderstand this question.  The question is quite clear.

In regards to question 4, we did discuss this in class.  I understand what you're saying, there can be "bad noise", and this is true; however, the question is a 'multiple choice' question, and you should choose the best option.  if this were a written question, and you wrote your argument, I would agree with you.  However, the other three options are more bigger problems, and even if there is "bad noise", which of course there can be, it is rarely a big issue.

The TESOL quiz questions can be quite tricky from time to time.  My advice is to think about them and if you still can't figure out which option doesn't fit, or which is wrong, etc, you should try to filter out the ones you do not think match the question, and then make a logical choice between the remaining options. 

Anyhow, I hope that helps.  If not, or you have other questions, please just continue to post them on the Q&A.  However, please also realize that it may take me some time to answer since there is a massive time difference between Korea and Canada.

Have a nice day!

Yoon Hwa Kang님의 댓글

Yoon Hwa Kang 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 댓글의 댓글 Date

Question #2 can be confusing for Korean students because when it is translated word by word, the "or" in the sentence changes from an inclusive "or" to an exclusive "or". In other words, the students would be looking for an answer that fails to match any of the three conditions (an activity that can not be done individually, in pairs, or in groups) - an activity that does not exist.

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors