Glenn College
Q&A

[Online TESOL] To teacher Allan

Page

Name HYONG WOO CHOI Date18-01-24 23:01 View3,636 Comment2

Content

Hi Allan! How is your day? I am watching Module 4 and I am deeply impressed because of new methods I didn't know but still I am a little bit confused about "prompt" practice such as a single word prompt or picture prompts. If I do a single word prompt, should I give them only 1 word or can I give them 2 words if necessary? In addition, what kind of questions should I ask when i do picture prompts. In your video, for example, you showed a picture of a dictionary and you acted like students and said "There is no point in reading the dictionary" so should I give them a structure and make students say the full sentence when I show them a picture?

Comment list

Allan Scafe님의 댓글

Allan Scafe 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Hyong Woo Choi,

Good questions! 

When you're doing 'single word prompts' it is totally fine to give them 2 words if you would like to (it depends on the structure).  Let's imagine you just looked at the structure:  "S went to (place) to (verb) something" for example.  Maybe you give them two words.  For example, you give them the word "park" and "ride".  So, maybe a student will say, "I went to the park to ride my bike around".  So basically to answer your question again, yes, you can give them more than one word, but it really just depends on the structure that you have just taught them. 

As for your question about picture prompts, you don't have to ask them any questions while showing them the picture.  Remember, that picture prompts are a practice activity that we do after presenting a structure.  So again, let's imagine that we presented the same structure, "S went to (place) to (verb) something".  Maybe we show them a picture of a supermarket.  Or we could even show them 2 pictures, maybe a picture of a supermarket and also a picture of demonstrating the verb "buy".  Then we a pick a student, and hopefully they say, "I went to a supermarket to buy some milk" for example. 

So, just remember that both picture prompts, and single word prompts are practice activities that are connected to a structure that we have recently taught.  Also, although the title might be "single word prompts" we do not have to only use a single word, it is up to us, and it depends on the structure. 

Anyhow, I hope that helps and have a wonderful day!

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs

Q/A

Questions? Comments?
Chat with our instructors