Glenn College
Q&A

[Business Interpretation (Advanced - ITT Level 1,2)] Making notes is so hard for me

Page

Name Jihye Seo Date22-08-15 02:10 View1,442 Comment2

Content

Hi, I’m Jihye and learning interpretation.

Actually, I’m so stressed out when I listen to the record and make notes in E to K session.

I try to make notes only consonants and remember the contents, but the speed is quite fast for me.

So, I frequently miss the whole contents.
Is it right to just practice like this? Could I acquire the information on how to increase my listening ability?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Comment list

Mason 님의 댓글

Mason 쪽지보내기 메일보내기 자기소개 아이디로 검색 전체게시물 Date

Hi Jihye!

Thank you for the wonderful question.

If the speed of utterance is too fast, try to shorten the length of the utterance. Simply split the sentence into multiple parts to practice.

If you are "frequently missing the whole content", the issue is most likely your memory retention skills, not the note taking. This can be proven with a very simple exercise.

1. Go find any videos on YouTube where a Korean person is speaking (ideally something not too difficult to listen to).
2. Listen to just one Korean sentence and take notes if needed.
3. Say what the sentence you just heard was about in Korean. This does not have to be repeated exactly. All you need is a gift of the sentence.

You will notice that you are probably able to retain most of the original sentence in Korean without writing anything down. Why is that? That is obviously because you understand what you listened to. Note taking is only a secondary source of retaining the information. Your memory comes first. Understanding the utterance is far more effective and efficient than writing down the utterance. Here is my favourite saying regarding this: we are interpreters, not stenographers. :)

As long as you keep practicing and listening, I firmly believe you are doing the right thing.

Best regards,

Mason U, CMI-Korean
Business Interpretation and Translation in Korean (BIT-K) Instructor

Entrance Test

Take the Glenn College Online
Entrance Test

Go to Classroom

Access to programs
enrolled students

Registration

Create a user ID and
register for programs